83 Vf750F

83Interceptor750

Hey guys!

So im looking for a little help with my baby. I was out riding a few weeks ago when i noticed i had nothing responding on my guage cluster. Speedo was working, however ive no tach, temp, or cluster lights (neutral light, oil light,etc) ive checked and replaced 15a fuses and 30amp main fuse is still intact. Ivereviewed my clymers manual for other ideas but im at a loss. My fans were convertrd to a switch from the PO and those were also not functioning. On an untrelated note the bike was leaking coolant but i believe this was due to the fans not being able to function anyone had similar problems to this? Or maybe point me in the right direction?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi 83Interceptor750,

if there are no lights with the ignition in the on position (assuming you tested for a good charge and actually tested the fuses with a multimeter), means that probably the ignition switch assembly should be disassembled and wires resoldered. I had an issue where just turning the handlebars would turn off the bike. The old stiff wiring was cracking the solder joints over time. Resoldering and ensuring slack in the wiring loom ensured that there was no tension on the ignition switch to crack those points again.

As I recall the ignition assembly had little tabs that could be released with a small flat screwdriver. Or it all could be something else. Worth a look, maybe.

Archived