Headlight Harness Question

Headonastick

Okay... my right headlight decided to stop working. Upon investigation it appears a previous owner decided to slice and dice the connections. Beyond repair at this point - the correct connector to the bulb is missing and there is almost no wire left to splice into in any case.

I want to put a new harness on.

I am wondering how tough it is to replace the harness - is it a simple plug and play operation? Is it easiest to simply remove the entire fairing set?

Finally, is there a separate harness for each side or a single harness for the entire headlight assembly?

This is what I am planning on purchasing:

post-30558-0-31725700-1412719700.jpg

As always, thanks!

Oh, and is there anything else I should go ahead and replace or upgrade while I have the entire assembly apart?

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear that you are having to undo what the PO did. I don't have answers to the questions about the harness itself, but while you have the cowl off (and yes: I'd be removing both sides and the front, I'd urge you to consider replacing the light bulbs themselves with LED units. Here's what I did, and I really like them (although I wish I had replaced both the high and low rather than just the low beams):

yaB2Cxa.jpg

I thought I replied... I saw the LED thread and am considering it, but I hate the idea of cutting up a new harness. IS there a way to mount the LED bulbs without cutting into the harness?

In any case, I like the install you did - it looks very clean. Very tempting...

[edit:]

Never mind... I see how the harness works. Much happier to give that a go.

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-2500LM-5000K-Bright-Headlight/dp/B00LUALTMW/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1410895040&sr=8-14&keywords=H4+LED+headlight

Are these the same light?

• 4 weeks later...

You absolutely DO NOT have to cut up the harness!

The only thing you need to do is un-tape the high-beam leads, un-click the HOT tab to the H7 bulbs, and push it into the H4 bulb clip.... then tape it up.

THAT'S IT.

You will then have High/Low beam on the H4 LED and your H7's will be un-used.

The discussion in the LED conversion thread was if you wanted to ALSO run the H7's as a driving light, or fog light... for example, I ran mine as "accent" lighting that click OFF when the High-beams are on... something you do not need to do.

It's literally a 10 minute job to re-wire and install the LED bulbs, you will also have to aim them DOWN a bit as they tend to light up the tops of trees on first install. Haha.

Archived