Valves

youn6372

I came across this thread on the CB1100F forum, #2 is my resopnse. Anyone care to chime in on either?

I was a mechanic at a Honda dealership during this timeframe. We did a couple (literally just a handful) under warranty and saw it on both the Sabre and the VF. We weren't a very big a dealership and didn't sell thousands of bikes, but we didn't get much of a return on these for a fix. One thing the Honda reps said (and it may sound familiar) was to run the valve clearances a little loose (.004-.005") to make sure the oil stayed between the cams and rockers, plus use a long (~10") feeler gauge under both adjusters and adjust the valves so when you pulled the feeler gauge out it came out equally instead of harder on one side or the other. They said that would prevent the rockers from being side-loaded and the bike 'ticking' like it had loose valves from the rockers moving sideways against the head. The loud ticking was another owner complaint.

Hi. My name is Michael and I just picked up one of these bikes. It was in good shape but needed the usual TLC like brakes, rebuilding masters, carbs cleaned, lots of seals, bearings, full tune up, and new cam chain tensioner and tower. No issues that I could see with the cams or bearings. I've set the valves at the recommended .006 and the bike runs fine and is surprisingly fun to drive. The valves are a bit loud and I was wondering if there were ever any negative problems with these bikes specifically, at that gap? Is it worth it to pull the covers (kind of a pain in the back) for a .001?

+1 I’m going with the top end oiling issue being a myth.

Archived