Vf500F 1986, Uk Model Full Fairing

moanytony

Hello friends,

I have acquired one and love everything about it except that in normal weather, say 24 centigrade or 78 Fahrenheit, the bike steadily climbs to two thirds on the temp gauge and the fan comes on and pretty much stays on. Noisy and detracting really, are they supposed to do this?

With a really fast ride it climbs further but never quite goes over into the red. During the winter I'll check the thermostat, valve clearances, flush coolant and so forth, but wanted to know what I should expect from a normal bike.mmy old VF400 of course never made this irritating whirring sound!

Cheers!

Tony

Yes, I am in Ireland, a country not known for scorchio weather and my VF500 runs very hot too. Nature of the beast I think. Mine is in good condition and the rad is clear of debris. The fan comes on a lot. However on a long ride the gauge needle tends to point to just left of centre. Any slow down or traffic and it shoots up. Great bike though otherwise.

The fan on mine comes on when stood in traffic, but not during normal riding. I'd agree with the gauge running about halfway when doing normal speeds, and then climbing to 2/3rds before the fan comes on.

Thanks gents! Sounds like I'm going to need to service all of the cooling bits, and check the polarity of the fan, as clearly it should cool down at speed and not get hotter... Someone said the valve clearances too.....

Archived