5Th Gen Brake - Front-Left Caliper

Misspent Youth

Is it possible to separate the left-front caliper from its mounting bracket (that holds the secondary master) WITHOUT removing the connecting hose?

I ask because it's been several years since I cleaned the calipers and I usually do everything except separate the caliper halves to clean and lube, and I typically would have tried to separate the caliper from the mounting bracket to be thorough. It doesn't appear possible without removing the hose, BUT I clearly see my brake caliper grease on the two poles that carry the caliper, so I at least put grease on the poles (and I may have succeeded in separating the bracket from the caliper??). I should have made better notes on the first go-through. I've got the factory manual but it simply dictates hose removal.

Too many bikes, too much maintenance, too little time. Thanks for any guidance.

• 1 year later...

I just tried on mine and the only way I could see to get the bracket with the pin slides off was to remove hoses. I used a shot of white lithium in between the boots and the pins of the bracket. Worked well. I'll get deeper when I do the galfer lines.

Archived