Need Help! Ignition Pulse Generator (Fi Light 19 Blinks)

raoufhakam

hello everyone,

any help is greatly appreciated as i just bought this VFR a month ago and not yet acquainted with it

took the bike out for a short ride today, when stopped on a light i noticed the idle rpm is down to around 1000 rpm and neutral light was kind of blinking (but looks normal solid green if i revv a little bit) and FI light blinked when im riding and the bike was sputtering, headed straight back home (was 3-5 mins from home). looked up the service manual for the FI light codes, and shorted the connected and got code 19 blinks (1 long blink + 9 short blinks). Service manual says:

FI light blinks - 19
engine does not start

1. Loose or poor contact on ignition pulse generator connector
2. Open or short circuit in ignition pulse generator
3. Faulty ignition pulse generator

Note: the manual says bike does not start, but it still cranks and revvs normally when on Neutral or on gear on the stand

im kind of mechanically talented (have many basic stuff on bikes but dont have any experience with ignition system and how it works or how to diagnose/fix that) any help ? anybody got that error code before? as a nearly broke student i'd rather fix that at home than paying $80/hr + parts for a shop (student budget and all)

Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

Couple of possibilities.

Cam pulse generator and ignition pulse generator are on a loop from the ECU. There are no "grounds" in this specific circuit to go bad, that said voltage fluctuations can affect ECU operation. By intuition, I would guess that power is supplied to these two devices on the white/yellow wire from the ECU and signal is returned on green (cam pulse generator) or solid yellow (ignition pulse generator).

Before I went and started chasing wires, I would make sure all the connectors are making good contact. Get yourself a bottle of contact cleaner or better yet a can of DeOxit D5 and clean both the ecu connectors and the ignition pulse generator connector. Make sure your chassis grounds are clean and secure and make sure the blades of the ECU power fuse are clean and corrosion free.

If you are still getting a code after this, come back and I can help you chase down the issue.

Couple of possibilities.

Cam pulse generator and ignition pulse generator are on a loop from the ECU. There are no "grounds" in this specific circuit to go bad, that said voltage fluctuations can affect ECU operation. By intuition, I would guess that power is supplied to these two devices on the white/yellow wire from the ECU and signal is returned on green (cam pulse generator) or solid yellow (ignition pulse generator).

Before I went and started chasing wires, I would make sure all the connectors are making good contact. Get yourself a bottle of contact cleaner or better yet a can of DeOxit D5 and clean both the ecu connectors and the ignition pulse generator connector. Make sure your chassis grounds are clean and secure and make sure the blades of the ECU power fuse are clean and corrosion free.

If you are still getting a code after this, come back and I can help you chase down the issue.

UPDATE:

did some diagnostic according to service manual:

1/ went over some of the connections, everything looks fine

2/ disconnected the ignition pulse generator (IPG) connector and tested continuity, no continuity (standard) on either wires

3/ went to test the IPG peak voltage on cranking (standard: 0.7 V minimum) highest reading i got was 0.5V but im questioning the multimeter i used, its a crappy $2 meter my brother got it from eBay China with a nearly dead battery, so i'll probably go buy a good meter and redo this step

any tips or help?

• 9 months later...

I knw this is an old topic, and I'm more familar with the earlier generation bike, but generally a pulse generator is tested by measuring the resitance through to two wires. You should unplug it/isolate it from the ECU then measure the ohms. The manual should tell you the resistance range which should be measured at about room temperature.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply,

I have actually just disconnecr and clean the pulse generator wires and plug it back and few days later decided to fire it up and take her for a spin, et voila!

Problem was gone and have since put about 8,000km (5,000mile) trouble free so far (fingers-crossed) with exception for a faulty thermostat (stuck open) that for weather to warm up to fix as i dont have a heated garage, but for now covered both with cardboard pieces to restrict air flow through them

Archived