Problems Fitting Heated Grips

Guest wokkawokka

Guest wokkawokka

I just tried to install Oxford Heated Grips on my '09 VFR, and what a fight they are putting up!

I had a set on my old '99 CBR600, and they went on with no problems.

I got all the electrics in no problem, cables routed etc, but I just can't get the grips to go onto the bars!

They are far too tight for the bar size (I have the touring grips that came in the kit), and just won't slide on.

I have ended up shaving material out of the inside of the grips to get them to even slide on at all, and even then it's not as easy as the last set I installed. After much scraping and sanding, the grips did slide on.

Then I tried to put the throttle grip on, applied super glue, the quickly tried to slide the grip on. Fail. It made it 80% of the way and the glue dried. I'm sure the superglue wasn't this rapid before. I wasn't slow putting it on.

Am I the only problem who seems to have trouble putting these onto a VFR?

...and does any one think I can get the grip off with acetone or superglue remover?

I suspect I'll have to cut the grip off, and, of course, you don't seem to be able to buy spares here in Aus, so I have to buy a whole new set. Bugger.

(I can get spares from the USA, or cheap sets, bet I need the bike on the ride, it's my daily transport, so I don't a have a week to spare)

• Member Contributer

This isn't much help to you now, but I never use glue on grips, partly because of what happened to you.

I make sure the grips and bars are really clean (acetone or similar), and then wet the grips and bars with more acetone. Slide the grips on while everything is wet, and wait for the solvent to dry. It would probably work with water if you can wait a day or two for it to dry.

To remove, I stick that little red tube from WD40 in as far as I can and spritz in a few places. If you can get a small screwdriver between the grip and the bar, that may work for you now.

Glenn

• Member Contributer

What I use for grip glue is haispray, it dries overnight, works well and leave very little residue behind. much easier to work with than Super Glue Hope that helps.....

Guest wokkawokka

I did think of hairspray, as I've used that on bicycle grips before, but I only thought about it after the event. I think I'll use that next time, the grips need something, as they can still move without anything.

The WD40 and the tube is a good idea also, thanks!

My plan is to use a small screw driver to try and crack to superglue, then try Acetone as well. I should be able to get it off I reckon, as I'm not keen on having to buy a whole new set! (not at $140 Aus).

Maybe I was just lucky that I got the last set on my old CBR600 so easily.

Guest wokkawokka

Well, I got the stuck grip off.

Started with a thin screwdriver, but that only reached 80% of the way under the grip, not up to the inboard end where most of the glue had spread to. You can really see things moving under the grip, very much like something moving under skin, stretching it in ways I was sure weren't good.

I then tried a section or wire coat hanger, which went in, then went through the grip and came out the other side about 1.5cm from the end. oh, poo, if it wasn't broken before, it is now.

So I moved onto a full size flat blade screwdriver (6mm shaft, 8 mm wide head), since I figure it's stuffed anyway. This thing really stretched the grip, but did the job and broke the glue.

When I got the grip off, I plugged the system up, and turned it on, more for a laugh than any real hope of it working. I was amazed to find the grip still heated, just the same as the left hand one that I hadn't put on the bike. The throttle grip went on really easy after all the stretching, so I used super glue on it (I know, tempting fate), but only at the inboard end of the tube, and a little round the inside of the grip on the outside end. Clutch side was a much firmer fit, so I used hairspray to lube/glue. Put it all back together, and hey presto, warm fingers!

I cannot express how amazed I am that the grip still heats after all the abuse I gave it!

Edited by wokkawokka

To get them back off stick a screwdriver (carefully) under the grip and use an air compressor to blow air under it will work.

I used the glue that came with the Oxford grips on my KLR and had to do it twice because it didn't stick so well the first time. You can actually buy Honda grip glue if you're so inclined.