Vf Cam Comparison

jwd0310

I've got an 83 VF750 Interceptor I'm working on. It was put away because the dreaded cam issue. The bike made it 30k before it stopped though. I've got an 84 Interceptor as a parts bike that I just found out is a 700. I'm trying to decide if these cams will work in the 750 motor. They look like they're in pretty good condition but I don't know about profile. I've been reading everything I can find, it looks like they'll make less power than the 750 cams. Should I be looking for later model cams on ebay or something? I talked to megacycle already, but I'm looking at $1200 to take care of cams and rocker arms.

Find parts lists of both bike's and compare part numbers. If they are a match, they are the same.

I know, for the vfr rc24 the cams differ and the 700 misses about 15 hp, the cams responsible for the loss of most horses.

• Member Contributer

They aren't the same part number. Not really surprising.

Pull one or more out of the 83 and compare to the same from 84. Measure them.

They don't necessarily have to measure the same. But will they work once you know what they are? That's the question. Post what you find here.

So I'll resume pulling parts today. I've been doing heavy reading about the VF cam problem. There is lots of information about there but a lot of key points missing. For example. there was a recall, and there were several cam revisions but no way to determine what it in a bike. So in the interest of documenting what I find I'll put information here as I find it.

I worked in a Honda shop during those years and we routinely did a cam swap every time a V4 motor came in for a tune up. The parts and labour at the time was about 1600 in 1985 bucks. We had some bikes that took more than one cam swap as Honda kept changing the design of the cams and followers. This wear would traditionally create a very annoying ticking sound at idle. - dalma

So there's some symptoms of what the problem was like. I also found this interesting tidbit:

if it was an official recall from honda there will be a punch mark right after the vin , if the recall was preformed on that bike. - hsc

So I'll be looking for that. It would be nice to know which bikes had recall work done to them. I'd also like to know if the cams had stampings on them to mark revision or something. I'll also measure the cams and post pictures and such. From what I've seen so far they look identical and I expect them to swap in, I just don't know about the profile.

**Edit - minor details on cam profiles.

1984-85 VF700F Overview: This U.S. "Tariff Beater" model was similar to the VF750 with the only external difference being no 750 designation in the graphics just the Interceptor name. Inside difference was shorter stroke, different cams, and ignition timing.

Specs at a glance: Max. H.P.: ?hp /?rpm Torque: ?kg-m/10,000rpm Size: ?mm(L) x ?mm(W) x ?mm(H) Wheelbase: ?mm Dryweight: ?kg Front tire: ? Rear tire: ? Price (new):'84 - $3,498, '85 - same (list - USD)

Source

Archived