83 Vf750 Ignition/electrical Issues

CBVFRbikeboy

• Member Contributer

Well, after a solid days riding the newly finished project, it seems to have developed a weird ignition/electrical problem that cuts in and out. the tacho jumps all over the place, so I *think* that points to a current issue? (Not completely familiar with these bikes yet)

I have a video that demonstrates the behaviour, and if someone could take a look and offer suggestions I'd appreciate it. So far I've replaced the coils, and the spark units, but the problem persists :mad:

http://youtu.be/SxlylYEBWU8

or this attachment:

tacho2.mov

Take a look at the regulator rectifier. Later VFR models sometimes have the same kind of behavior, short before the rr cuts out completely. Sometimes the rr shortcuts completely, even blowing the 30a main fuse.

• Member Contributer

Take a look at the regulator rectifier. Later VFR models sometimes have the same kind of behavior, short before the rr cuts out completely. Sometimes the rr shortcuts completely, even blowing the 30a main fuse.

thanks bert. I swapped in a good unit, but it doesn't seem to have helped. I have fitted a volt meter, and it sits on about 13.5 with the lights on, so I don't think there's too much wrong with that.

I'm wondering if it may be the pulse generator gone bad?

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

Check all your grounds. My R has a 2 green wire one under the seat that can give you something similar if loose.

Check electronical components not only in cold condition, but also after/during a ride, because components like the rr have the bad habit, to function well in cold condition and start to malfunction in warm/hot condition.

Sometimes a soldering point wil come loose, caused by vibrations. Resoldering will help.

• Member Contributer

Still trying to sort this out. Checked all the earths I could find, cleaned all the connectors in the ignition and charging circuits, swapped coils (again) and checked their resistance, checked the gap at the pulser units and checked their resistance.

I've also pulled and cleaned the carbs thinking it *may* have been a fuel issue, but no.

I'm kinda hoping I'll go out one morning and everything will be fine :unsure:

cheers

ian

Archived