83Interceptor Problems

Hey guys. I own a 1983 interceptor. Great bike, seemingly bulletproof for me. I bought the bike 2 years ago and have ridden it every rideable day since. I've never had a problem with her. Did my oil changes and basic maintenance. A few weeks ago I was at a HOG rally with her doin multiple starts and stops throughout the city, through complacency or whatever you wanna call it I managed to park the bike and forgot to put my kickstand down. She fell hard. I rode the bike the rest of the weekend with no real effects, then a few days later the bike started dropping rpms randomly while riding, the problem persisted and eventually couldn't event keep the bike idling.

So! I've winced replaced spark plugs and the inline filter hoping I'd just jarred some debris loose and clogged something. I've also dropped in some sea foam additive, trying to run that through the tank. Still I've seen no results. Hope I've given enough information here to lay down a bit of background. Any ideas of things to check? Last thing I wanna do is pull carbs and clean them lol. Help? TIA

Perhaps that very well could be one of the issues :) irregardless as it stand I'm still having issues with said bulletproof interceptor. I've replaced spark plugs, fuel filter and ran seafoam to clean carbs etc. I've had minimal results with applications I've tried. Still no decernable results, any help is most appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

• Member Contributer

hmm...

I'd start with the simple things. Check the linkages on the carbs, throttle cable actuation, choke function, airbox and filter, fuel-flow etc...

Worst case scenario from my limited exposure to carbureated bike might be something was jarred in one of the bowls? Perhaps the floats are not working as they should or some particulate was shaken loose in the tank and now is gumming up the works in the fuel system?

Just a thought, and free advice is worth what you pay for it. Perhaps some more knowledgable folks will weigh in today.

Recent developments.

When cold and full choke the bike will idle and respond on the rpm gauge, seems after it's warmed up for a good while it will start to react n sputter n not idle. Someone's mentioned coil packs or power packs in conversation at a parts store. Any validity to this?

Archived