Rear Preload Question

VFRKEN

Didn’t see this post anywhere prior and think I know the answer but need reassured ......

When stated either in the user manual or recommended suspension settings "Clicks form minimum setting" (Stock Adjuster)

Would this be from the "last" click ? OR "The last click with any detectable tension" against the adjuster ?

I can probably go another 8 or more "Clicks" past the point where there's any noticeable tension left against the adjuster

Can someone clarify this for me , I've never had experience with an adjuster that went so far past any detectable tension on the adjuster

Thanks in advance !!

Ken

• Member Contributer

Hi bud, when you have turned the adjuster fully [anti clockwise] turn clockwise to the 1st click, now look at the top of your rear shock spring, it seats into a round aluminium collar, now turn the adjuster clockwise keeping a eye on the aluminium collar, you should be able to feel the tension of the spring, and at the same time there will be more of the aluminium collar showing. Hope this makes sense, Dave.

I think you're saying to visually look at the top of the shock , I'm assuming there's a something resembling a conventional adjuster where in the past I would put a spanner wrench to adjust preload , but in this case is done remotely ? and I should be able to confirm when I've reached the "Min" position ?

• Member Contributer

I think you're saying to visually look at the top of the shock , I'm assuming there's a something resembling a conventional adjuster where in the past I would put a spanner wrench to adjust preload , but in this case is done remotely ? and I should be able to confirm when I've reached the "Min" position ?

Yes that's correct.

Ok Great !! I have to imagine its going to be the last click with tension on the adjuster knob but even better to know for sure , thank you !!!! Much appreciated

If your bike is on the center stand you will find the last few clicks seem to have zero pressure on the spring, but if you have the bike off the center stand there should be pressure on the collar all the way to the minimum setting. The setting recommended in the manual is from the absolute minimal setting which is the actual last click, not from where the slack seems to be taken up.

• Member Contributer

If your bike is on the center stand you will find the last few clicks seem to have zero pressure on the spring, but if you have the bike off the center stand there should be pressure on the collar all the way to the minimum setting. The setting recommended in the manual is from the absolute minimal setting which is the actual last click, not from where the slack seems to be taken up.

The only correct way to do this is with the weight of the rear suspension, ie like you said, but the only correct way is to count the clicks from when the tension takes up on the spring not when you have x amount of clicks before the tension is taken up.

The only correct way to do this is with the weight of the rear suspension, ie like you said, but the only correct way is to count the clicks from when the tension takes up on the spring not when you have x amount of clicks before the tension is taken up.

When it's off the center stand there's always tension on the spring so there would be no play in the preload. So when Honda says 11 clicks from full "soft" it means from the very first click.

• Member Contributer

When it's off the center stand there's always tension on the spring so there would be no play in the preload. So when Honda says 11 clicks from full "soft" it means from the very first click.
I think you will find there is.

Archived