2001 Hot After Coolant Flush And Change. Shooting Coolant

5string

• Member Contributer

OK, after flushing and changing the coolant last week, the bike started getting hot (230) around town. I read about burping the system, so I tried that today. I removed the radiator cap and allowed the engine to come up to temp. There appeared to be good flow, but when the engine reached ~220, it started spitting coolant out of the radiator. I let it continue for a minute or two with the thought that it was just air "burping". When I shut it down (225) I checked the coolant level and the radiator appeared to have lost quite a bit of coolant. I revved it a couple of times during the spitting phase and it caused a definite increase in the amount of coolant coming out.

Am I F(*^*&%^ED ????

I refilled the radiator afterwards. Overflow tank was at the low mark.

added: When I initially opened the radiator, it was full. Overflow reservoir was at low mark.

added: exhaust does not smell of coolant. No external leaks noted.

added: There was no overheat issue prior to flush and change. Even during low speed parking lot maneuver practice for 45 minutes and highway speed cruising for ~75 minutes.

• Member Contributer

Or am I a dumbass for letting it get too warm without the cap on?

• Member Contributer

You may have had some air in the system but you've probably burped it out if you let it temp up and it overflowed. I wouldn't say you've harmed anything. When it gets to 220ish it's going to overflow with no cap. So I would top off the radiator and tank to mid-mark. Cap it off. Start if up and let it rise to temp.

If temp rises above 220 or so and no fan comes on - that's one issue to look into. I think the fan is supposed to come on about 220. That usually would hold the temp down in that range.

If the fans are kicking in, and temp continues to rise - second thing I would wonder about is the coolant mix. It needs to be mixed 50/50 or per recommended spec. If the mix is too high coolant / water - it does not effectively dissipate heat - and you will over temp as you describe.

Just a couple things to check. I'm sure others have thoughts as well.

Ernie

• Member Contributer

I'll second the thought that there was air in the system. The spitting was likely just hot spots boiling off without the cap being on and keeping things pressurized. It doesn't sound like you let it get hot enough to have done any damage.

The first trick to getting the air out is to fill the system slowly enough to allow it to escape. This needs to be done with the bike on the side stand to allow the coolant to displace the air and allow the air a path to exit at the highest point in the system, the right radiator cap.

Missing the first trick means you have to try a little harder to get the air out. You had the right idea by revving the engine with the cap open. Hopefully the bike was on the side stand, as that is key. I don't think you need to let the temp come up any higher than 170 or 180, you just need it to be warm enough for the thermostat to open and allow the coolant to circulate. That should allow the air to bubble up to the high point and exit.

Another trick to help work the air out is to squeeze the coolant hoses while the cap is off. Not too hard or you'll send the coolant splashing out, you just want to create currents in the cavities to dislodge the air . And one final trick is to park the bike somewhere where the front is a little higher than the back, letting gravity assist you.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies!

• Member Contributer

Update

Have a day off today, so this is my plan: Bought new radiator cap: Murray Ultra 7516. Looks and fits identically and has same 1.1 bar/16psi rating. Siphoned off ~3 oz of coolant and added water wetter. Will report back after 1 hour ride.

Well got back from highway cruise, parking lot low speed practice and a little suburban riding. Temp hit 220, fan kicked on and hovered between 210-220 during practice and in traffic. 183 on the highway cruising at 80 indicated in 5th and 6th gear. No boiling sounds when I returned home. So far the rad cap replacement seems to have done the trick. Will update as I ride more. Thanks VFRDiscussion *oops*!

Sorry I hit both places for advice and copies and pasted :)

Archived