Pcv Ignition Module

pete2

I read from the vfrworld that Powercommander's Ignition Module would give a better driveability to the VFR1200. Anybody have any experience about the ignition module here at this forum? I have the PCV and was wondering if that would be worth testing.

• Member Contributer

There are many posts on this topic in the forum. You can start here; http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/61144-powercommander-for-vfr1200f/?hl=powercommander

Just type Power Commander into the Search box at the top and then select by Forum on the left.

• Member Contributer

I read from the vfrworld that Powercommander's Ignition Module would give a better driveability to the VFR1200. Anybody have any experience about the ignition module here at this forum? I have the PCV and was wondering if that would be worth testing.

For what you would gain out of the Ignition Modual, is very little to nothing at all, spend your money on de-catting the exhaust and changing the end can, because that is the biggest restriction of all. You will gain around 17 bhp by changing the exhaust system, and gain on drive ability, a lot smoother bottom end, and a lot quicker through the rev range.

There are many posts on this topic in the forum. You can start here; http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/61144-powercommander-for-vfr1200f/?hl=powercommander

Just type Power Commander into the Search box at the top and then select by Forum on the left.

Yes I have read this old and long thread but it says nothing about the ignition module. They are all talking about the PCV Fuel Injection Module (which I have also in my VFR1200). I was asking if somebody here has tested the IGNITION Module on VFR1200.

• Member Contributer

Yes I have read this old and long thread but it says nothing about the ignition module. They are all talking about the PCV Fuel Injection Module (which I have also in my VFR1200). I was asking if somebody here has tested the IGNITION Module on VFR1200.

I have said it once, and i will say it again, you will gain next to nothing by fitting the Dynojet ignition modual, there is nothing wrong with the standard ignition, and that came from Dynojet UK themselves, de-cat the exhaust, and change the end can, you will gain aprox 18 bhp, and have a wider torque band, runs a lot smoother bottom end, and pulls like the clappers to the red line.

• 2 weeks later...

I have said it once, and i will say it again, you will gain next to nothing by fitting the Dynojet ignition modual, there is nothing wrong with the standard ignition, and that came from Dynojet UK themselves, de-cat the exhaust, and change the end can, you will gain aprox 18 bhp, and have a wider torque band, runs a lot smoother bottom end, and pulls like the clappers to the red line.

How do you de-cat the exhaust? Just put on an aftermarket Pipe such as the DAM?

I had my catalyser box opened, matrix removed, internals cleaned up and top welded back on.

Dave chopped his out completely and fitted a custom Y piece.

The Dam is a short can and for better torque i'd prefer a longer exhaust tract. I used a Two Brothers Black series.

As Dave says, PCV, Can and de-cat. Stand by to be impressed once a good map is installed.

I had my catalyser box opened, matrix removed, internals cleaned up and top welded back on.

How did you do it? Did you remove the whole cat by cutting the tubes before and after? Or did you cut the whole cat in half and then remove the internals? This seems to be the easiest and most cost effective way if you want to decat the exhaust. (ps. I think I forget the ignition module).

Edit: When looking at your pictures it seems like you have first removed the whole cat and then split it in half horizontally. Am I correct?. Was the cat itself inside a separate piece which was easy to remove? And then just put everything back together.

Then you get a big hollow box instead of the cat. I would imagine it is not as good as to do an Y-connection tube(?) Did you notice a very big difference? How about the sound of the exhaust. Much louder without the cat?

I I don't doubt you one bit. The ignition module won't do anything to add HP. However, I believe that thread in vfrworld was talking about the ignition module helping with the 1st-2nd drivability problem, not so much adding HP. The OP in that thread said just by inserting the ignition module - with a zero map installed - helped. That I'm not sure, but then again, I don't have first hand experience one way or the other.

Anyway, I don't need any more power up top or in the mid range. I do wish the low end is a little more robust though. And this is in all gears, so I'm not talking about the 1st-2nd retard. I wonder if adding a bit more back pressure would help. If it does, I wouldn't mind sacrificing some HP up top to get more torque down low.

How did you do it? Did you remove the whole cat by cutting the tubes before and after? Or did you cut the whole cat in half and then remove the internals? This seems to be the easiest and most cost effective way if you want to decat the exhaust. (ps. I think I forget the ignition module).

Edit: When looking at your pictures it seems like you have first removed the whole cat and then split it in half horizontally. Am I correct?. Was the cat itself inside a separate piece which was easy to remove? And then just put everything back together.

Then you get a big hollow box instead of the cat. I would imagine it is not as good as to do an Y-connection tube(?) Did you notice a very big difference? How about the sound of the exhaust. Much louder without the cat?

The guys who did the work left the box in situ, they just cut the top off, removed the matrix and cleaned up the restrictions to flow.

My un baffled TBR can isn't all that loud so maybe the decat didn't make a huge difference in this respect.

I got 161 bhp on the same Dynojet that Dave above got 167 bhp. This may have been down to the Y piece. It might also be due in part to my lower mileage at 3500 miles or other factors. Given that I've seen standard figures of 142 bhp I'm more than happy.

My system viewed from underneath still looks standard.

Peter

Archived