Fuel Tank Removal

Guest Barleymo

Guest Barleymo

Is there any way to remove the fuel tank without having to dismantle the fairing first, i just want to route a Garmin power cable to the battery but it look like i have to take the front then both sides of the fairing off then the tank cover sides, Anyone know of an easier route ???

post-25399-0-67600600-1364839773.jpg

I don't see how you could.

The good news is that if all you want is to route some cables, you don't have to remove the tank. I did some farkle installs a while back, including an HID conversion, for which I routed cables directly to the battery. I basically followed the stock wiring routes and conduits, which are inside the frame and below the fuel tank. You do have to remove the fairing, at least on one side.

• Member Contributer

The first time you do it, you must remove the "middle" cowls and then the tank covers. This is because there is a bolt at the front of the tank covers that is covered by the "middle" cowls. (The "middle" cowls are the big red side cowls. I'd call them side cowls but Honda calls them "middle").

When you reassemble, if you do not reinstall that bolt I mentioned, then you can easily remove the tank covers without removing the "middle" cowls. I've done this from the very first tear down (50,000 kms ago) and I can confirm that it has made not one bit of difference in terms of the cowls holding together properly. That bolt is engineering overkill. These panels are so well put together, with multiple attachment points that leaving this one out makes no difference and let's you take the tank off in 3 minutes rather than 10.

Anyway, I've attached a page from the shop manual in which I've indicated the bolt I'm talking about.

Section 03 - Frame, Body Panels, Exhaust System (dragged).pdf

Archived