Bike Won't Start With Power Commander Hooked Up

munster

I've got a '99 with a K&N and a Yoshi exhaust. I bought a PC3 last summer and installed a couple of different maps to see what the results were. I never had any problems with the bike starting.

I parked it over the winter with the battery out, and when I went to start it, it won't fire. It turns over, but it just won't catch.

If I take the PC out of the equation, the bike starts instantly. Plug the PC back in, and no ignition. I've tried several different maps, but nothing.

The PC appears to act as it should when you turn the key. The lights cycle through, resting on the bottom when complete, and twisting the throttle moves the light up proportionately.

Any ideas where to start looking? I think it could be a bad connection on one of the pins of the PC where it plugs in near the left rad, but I'm kind of grasping at straws. I thought maybe it lost the map with the battery out for so long, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.

didn't you forgot to connect the PC3 ground? when i first installed mine on my 6th gen, i forgot to connect the ground that goes to the battery and bike just did not started, as soon as i connected it she started right up!. it acted the same way you describe, lights up and so on but bike would crank but not fire up

I bought the PC used last year, so I probably can't send it back to Dynojet. It was like new and worked great originally. I do have the red wire from the PC connected to the battery terminal, but I'll dig further down the wiring harness to see if there was a ground wire somewhere. I can't remember if there was one that went to the frame or not.

I'm a tool. Thanks for the help. I missed the little black wire. When I slid the battery in, the wire got trapped underneath. I had remembered hooking a wire to the battery, but since I had a red one on one termincal, I figured that was it. The PO had installed a VFRness though, and the red wire is part of that. Connecting the wires properly is, as usual, somewhat important.

Thanks again.

Archived