Adjusting Valve Clearances With 'special Tool'?

CBVFRbikeboy

• Member Contributer

Is it possible to check/set my VF750s valve clearances without the Honda Camshaft Holder? What function does it perform? And finally, can I still get one from Honda (or aftermarket)?

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

Special tool isn't a must. Plenty of people get a good adjusment using the 2 feeler gauge method(2 gauges at the same time for each pair of valves)

• Member Contributer

Adjusting the valves on a 750 is the same as doing it on a 5th gen 800. If a shim needs to be changed after measuring the clearance in the standard, feeler gauge in the gap method, you have to remove the cam or cams and take off the bucket to replace the shim.

hmmm. If your 5th gen 800 has bucket and shim adjustment, then its not the same as mine. Mine has the more traditional rocker adjustment that operates on each pair of valves. All my CBs have bucket and shim, and I have the special tool for those ;-)

Special tool isn't a must. Plenty of people get a good adjusment using the 2 feeler gauge method(2 gauges at the same time for each pair of valves)

Thanks Kel. Is there a 'compensation' factor applied to tool-less clearances?

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

Honda originally called for a .005 clearance but revised it to .006(.15mm).for many models. I set mine to a snug .006. I bought a long gauge and cut it in half to use 2 at once. The thinkig here is that you keep the rocker arm from tilting while you make the adjustment.

ttp://wiki.sabmagfaq.org/ValveTrain/ValveClearanceAdjustment

• Member Contributer

Great picture IC. Sums it up nicely. Funny the 500's had the square top adjusters.

• Member Contributer

+1 on using two feeler gauges.

great pic. Thanks for that. Is that ring spanner the special Honda adjusting tool?

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

Ian, these are the Factory tools for setting the valve lash on the VF500F:

DSC06516_zps8f4e0b07.jpg

oemvalveadjtoolsvfrworld04-11-11.jpg

On a side note, no need to use the Factory cam tool:

specialtool.jpg

Actually it is best not to use this tool as you can end up setting the lash too tight causing the followers to wipe all of the oil off of the cam lobes. This is a very bad thing.

Two long blade feeler gauges will stand you in good stead.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck with your project!

• Member Contributer

Ian, yes, these are the Factory tools for setting the valve lash on the VF500F:

Actually it is best not to use this tool as you can end up setting the lash too tight causing the followers to wipe the oil off of the cam lobes. This is a very bad thing.

Two long blade feeler gauges will stand you in good stead.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck with your project!

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

ian

Perhaps Ian, the special tool is the one holding the feeler guages? Snigger snigger.

But seriously, I do have one of the Honda tools if you want to borrow it to try.

• Member Contributer

Perhaps Ian, the special tool is the one holding the feeler guages? Snigger snigger.

But seriously, I do have one of the Honda tools if you want to borrow it to try.

Thanks for the offer Jeff. I might take you up on that offer one day. For the time being, I think I'm good to go with the tools I have for doing the 400F? Need to get another set of feeler gauges tho'.

cheers

ian

Archived