Vfr800 5Th Gen Stock Shock Spring Length.

Guest redxz

Just purchased a mint condition 1999 VFR800 with 27,000 miles on it.

I have been reading for hours every night trying to learn about this bike, and found the Transformation Wow thread, and realized just like my MX bike that I'm going to need to replace the springs for my given weight (189 naked):). The original owner was very finiky and has taken extremely good care of the bike, and as such recently serviced the suspension. I have already ordered Race Tech .95 springs for the forks, but need to order a Hyperco 1200 lb rear spring for the stock shock.

So here's my problem. I have searched high and low and can not find the length of the stock shock spring. Have heard it's either 2.25 X 7", or 2.25 X 8".

Someone has got to know this information! I would really like to make this a quick swap, and not have to measure myself, and wait a week for the new spring to arrive.

• Member Contributer

Check with Jamie D. at www.daughertymotorsports.com

He is a member on this forum and does suspension rebuilds on VFR's so if anyone could answer that question I am sure that he could. Jamie is a great guy to deal with and if you have any other suspension questions I'm sure he would be a wealth of knowledge.

He was the first guy I messaged.

He read it at 7:45ish this morning and did not comment:(

So then I went to the genaral forum with my question.

Spoke too soon!

Thanks Jamie:)

"For the 5th Gens I use an 8" spring with an adaptor. The installed length of the OEM spring is 197-207mm (depending on preload setting) and a typical "8in" spring measures 205mm free. I target 12mm of preload to generate the correct sag, so I use 12mm thick adaptor which provides a range of adjustment.

The 6th Gens use either a 7" or 8" depending on whether the shock has the remote preload or not. In all cases an adaptor is required".

I hope this helps!

Jamie

Archived