Valve Adjustment. Would You?

awacs

• Member Contributer

Hey all,

Gee, another adjust or not thread. How exciting!

Fifth gen with about 97k miles on it:

Here's where I'm at. I have a few that are loose by +0.01 mm over max clearance, one at +0.02 mm, and the worst at +0.04 mm. Since they are loose and not tight -- no reason to pull the cams, right?

On the tight side, I have one intake valve at -0.02 mm under min clearance, and one at -0.01 mm under. The latter is the inside intake valve on #3, which is a bear to measure anyway, so who knows. Oh, and unfortunately of the two that are tight, one is on each cylinder head. Naturally.

Would you swap shims or no? I know, they're out od tolerance and I probably should. Just figured I'd put this out there.

Thanks,

Aram

• Member Contributer

Pacificman, It's a fair question. My first response was that I find removing the cams to be a pain -- but it's been a long time, and you're right. It's not a big deal. Today didn't go smoothly, so there's a piece of me that wants to stop right here. One of those days. That's probably a piece of it.

You're right on I think. I need to wait until I'm less mentally tired, and it will be fine!

Aram

• Member Contributer

Indeed it does. Sometimes you need to walk away. (But I hate this because my viffer is my main commute vehicle and car traffic sucks!)

Archived