Tweaked cowl stays

Guest terryinfla

Guest terryinfla

I recently had a low side which damaged the upper cowl, right mirror, right crank case, gas tank and right side cowl. Insurance is paying me to replace everything and so far I have replaced the upper cowl and right cowl but now that I am putting everything back together things seem to be tweaked. While I cannot see any tweaked cowl stays the left or non crashed side cowl will not line up with the holes in the stays properly. Does anyone know of any tricks to determine which cowl stays are the tweaked ones so I know what to replace.

Are you running the tweaked fairing stay or a new one?

You can use several points on the bike to take measurements from, like gas cap bolts or tail section points to measure diagonally from.

BR

There is only one stay and that is what aliens everything!

Unless it's killed these are easily modded or tweaked back into proper position, just takes some time.

Many times in a simple low side the entire stay will be rotated around away from the crash side at the steering head or either simply bending the upper bar. If you put the bike on the center stand and pull the front cowl it's usually pretty easy to visually see a difference, if the bike is level just use a tape measure how far the left and right tube are from the ground and how far from the center gas cap bolt.

BR

Archived