Seat solution -- a bit weird but effective nonetheless

Guest Bubbaslye

Guest Bubbaslye

Have had a number of bikes over the years and have found comfortable seating to be an issue with most of them.

At present, I've two machines -- my VICTORY Cross Country has a stock seat that is the closest to a genuinely

comfortable motorcycle that I've ever owned...ever! My 2010 VFR 1200f ( purchased this past May ) has, I'm

sorry to say, the MOST UNCOMFORTABLE seat I've ever experienced...ever!

There are a few after market seats out there, but they are expensive. Seeking a solution, I tried an Airhawk

air cushion I had in the garage ( purchased when I had a BMW RT ) -- as was the case with the BMW, it failed

to impress.

Fast forward a couple of weeks -- my wife's neck pain prompted a purchase at the local drugstore -- one of those

gel-filled pads that you place in a freezer to bring a little COOL comfort to the affected area. The size is roughly

9 x 11", the cost approximately $20.

On a hunch, I went back to the drugstore & bought two of the pads; I skipped the freezer part ( no surprise there )

and simply slipped the two pads on top of the air cushion within the AIRHAWK cover.

The difference, my friends, is tremendous -- the combination of those gel pads and a very modest amount of air

in the cushion has worked wonders. In all, I've gone about 200 miles using the system with no seat discomfort

whatsoever.

Remember: you heard it here first!

BUBBASLYE

Interesting. I love my Airhawk pad for the long hauls. Most people just don't know or forget the fact that they require very little air. I might give this a try to see if it changes anything for better or worse. Worse case is I have a cool pack or two for when I need them.

Too bad they don't keep cool longer for those extra hot day rids. :fing02:

Archived