Hooking up OEM Heated Grips?

• Member Contributer

Hey guy's, I'm going to be hooking up the OEM Heated grips very soon. So I bought the Sub-Harness connector. But I don't know where it hooks up to... Does anyone know, so I don't have to tear the whole bike apart to find it??

Thanks.

Also, does anyone have some good pic's of the OEM Heated grips installed?

This one:

2012-08-18184737.jpg

2012-08-18184824.jpg

If you pull the left tank fairing and middle fairing you can see the connector for the sub harness on the left front corner of the fuel tank. Mine is tucked in right at the frame.

I don't know if anybody else has had this problem, but you should check first to see if the wires on the sub harness align with the wires from the bike. There are 4 pin spots and two wires. Mine were reversed so the sub harness wires connected to dead ends rather than the wires coming from the bike into the other half of the connector - which I didn't realize until after a lot of fiddling and grumbling (to put it mildly) when I wasn't getting power from the sub harness. I tried swapping the pin positions within the connector and ended up buggering the pins and not being able to use the OEM sub harness adapter at all. I opted for installing a separate line directly from the battery. I haven't had time to complain to Honda yet but it was certainly frustrating and a waste of money for me.

I ended up using the UK harness and I still have the original harness in the packaged. They're identical except the UK version has four plugs instead of one. You basically unplug the the dummy plug and pop the harness in it's place. I would do both the grips and harness at the same time. Plan to spend about three to four hours installing the grips if you do it by yourself. It's not hard, but a very tedious process. The grips are awesome and worth your Saturday of cursing and knuckle scrapping.

• Member Contributer

I ended up using the UK harness and I still have the original harness in the packaged. They're identical except the UK version has four plugs instead of one. You basically unplug the the dummy plug and pop the harness in it's place. I would do both the grips and harness at the same time. Plan to spend about three to four hours installing the grips if you do it by yourself. It's not hard, but a very tedious process. The grips are awesome and worth your Saturday of cursing and knuckle scrapping.

Thanks for the insight. Do you happen to have any pic's of the grips and controller after it's installed?

Here is a pic of the accessory connector. Mine was well hidden and completely covered in black electrical tape. I tested it and the contacts are correct. The red wire is 12V and the green is ground.

I know it looks nice when everything is together. But working on the bike with everything being black gets old sometimes. :-)

Brent

post-25644-0-69919100-1345776267.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, I got the OEM Heated grips installed and working great! Got to test them out today. Also got the centerstand installed too. Look what else came in the big brown van on Thursday...2012-09-01113727.jpg2012-09-01113739.jpgGot them from David Silver Spares in the UK, for 699 GBP about $1100 shipped. and Brian went for a little ride today and had a great time.Here are a few pic's.2012-09-02141541.jpg2012-09-02093814.jpg2012-09-02141355.jpgThey look like twins :smile:Can you spot the differences between the two bikes??

Here's the route we took.http://goo.gl/maps/oXP86

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Looks like you guys had a good time!

It's neat to see two of these together. It's such a rare bike as it is, and seeing both DCT and 1200F in the same place at the same time is just, well, cool.

Be cautious... Brian might talk you in to a DAM pipe. :warranty:

I'm toying with the idea of the OEM heated grip thing this fall... I need an excuse to pull off the fairings and mount some other electricals in addition to permanently soldering up some wiring fixes that I did earlier last spring... There's a wire nut in there that I just don't trust over the long haul. How are you liking the OEM setup? Worth the cash?

• Member Contributer

Looks like you guys had a good time!

It's neat to see two of these together. It's such a rare bike as it is, and seeing both DCT and 1200F in the same place at the same time is just, well, cool.

Be cautious... Brian might talk you in to a DAM pipe. :warranty:

I'm toying with the idea of the OEM heated grip thing this fall... I need an excuse to pull off the fairings and mount some other electricals in addition to permanently soldering up some wiring fixes that I did earlier last spring... There's a wire nut in there that I just don't trust over the long haul. How are you liking the OEM setup? Worth the cash?

Yeah, I do love the OEM Heated grips and Hard cases, especially the fact that you can key them to match the bike, very nice!

• Member Contributer

Could you post up a few pics of the controls and whatnot? Comparing OEM to aftermarket... My dad's ST has the heated grips, it was heavenly in cold weather.

• Member Contributer

Could you post up a few pics of the controls and whatnot? Comparing OEM to aftermarket... My dad's ST has the heated grips, it was heavenly in cold weather.

I have had Symtec grip heaters on all my other bikes and liked them very much. Although they did have some issues, switchs burning out and wires coming disconnected at the grip... So far I do like these very much, they have three positions and are all controlled by the switch on the left grip. Also, they are integrated into the grips (very nice) and easy to install, except all the fairings have to come off and raise the tank.

Here are the only pic's that I have.

2012-09-15154735.jpg

2012-09-15154723.jpg

2012-09-15154754.jpg

Archived