Ignition questions delving into emssions failure

Guest daemontrym

Guest daemontrym

After talking to the guy at the inspection station, we decided a place to start would be testing the ignition system and checking for vacuum leaks.

I performed the entire ignition inspection procedure per the manual and found that everything was good but the ignition pulse generator.

What I read at the CDI box plug was 320 ohms and I am supposed to read 450-550 ohms.

At the pulse generator plug I am supposed to read 200 to 400 ohms, but I am getting 3.4 mega ohms and on the second check its reading as open.

How would this effect how the bike runs?

Plus while it was running I sprayed some starting fluid around the carb base and the bike started to rev up.

Upon taking the carbs off the boots were very hard and had some cracks in them. Plus while I have them out I plan to use a depth mic to bench sync them.

• Member Contributer

I can't answer your electrical ?'s but spraying around the base & revving up shows a vacum leak....I would try to soak the rubber boots that might help soften them up

• Member Contributer

After talking to the guy at the inspection station, we decided a place to start would be testing the ignition system and checking for vacuum leaks.

I performed the entire ignition inspection procedure per the manual and found that everything was good but the ignition pulse generator.

What I read at the CDI box plug was 320 ohms and I am supposed to read 450-550 ohms.

At the pulse generator plug I am supposed to read 200 to 400 ohms, but I am getting 3.4 mega ohms and on the second check its reading as open.

How would this effect how the bike runs?

If indeed the pulse generator has failed, it will cause the bike to not fire the coils, either permanently (no start) or intermittently. This would cause an emissions failure for sure, as you'd be dumping raw fuel out the exhaust on occasion.

They're harder to pick up on earlier bikes because the pulse generator only sets ignition timing whereas on EFI bikes it's used in conjunction with the cam pulse generator to fire and time the injectors.

Archived