Question re: Stevens Canyon Rd, WA

daver314

Hey Guys,

I'm headed out on a bit of a dave-cation next week and doing a bit of a loop through Washington over a couple of days. I'm going to be trying out some new territory and am looking for a bit of feedback from some of you who may have ventured that way already. Specifically, I'm looking at the Paradise Highway and Steven's Canyon Rd that runs roughly between La Grande and Yakima, passing by Mt. Rainier. I won't lie, I've spotted it on google maps and it looks very interesting, but I really don't know too much about it.

So, if any of you have been that way and can tell me a few things like what condition it's usually in, or if it's paved all the way through, etc, it would all be good to know.

Thanks in advance!

~Dave

• Member Contributer

I had to look up the numbers because I don't know the roads by their "proper names". First and foremost, do not take Hiway 7 or 161 to get to La Grande. You'll hate yourself and Washington State and that would be unfortunate. When I go out there I head out through Orting and take Orville Road along Lake Kapowsin to Eatonville. Or you can 264th out to 161 and miss all of Graham and it's multitudes of stop lights. The last time I was on 7, it was also multitudes of stop lights and detours. Others may have different route suggestions than Orting, but I would suggest avoiding 7 and 161 until you're past Graham. You can't avoid civilization completely, but you can limit its impact. Two, if you're doing this during the weekend, Hiway 7 past La Grande attracts squids of the two and four-wheeled variety. It's a nicer clientele during the week.

If you like old Iron Horses, you could take a short side trip to Mineral (continue on Hiway 7 out of Elbe instead of getting on 706) and check out the train yard on the east side of Mineral. You drive all the way through town (all 3 blocks of it) and it's on the left side of the road. It's the depot for the Mt. Rainier Scenic Railway and has old steam engines and some other steam driven gear that's pretty cool if you can get someone to tell you what it is.

While I haven't taken the route you're looking at, Destination Highways for Washington rates Hiways 706 and 123 as the 9th best motorcycle roads in the state. 706 is Paradise and Stevens Canyon Roads. It was on my to-do list for this summer until my mother decided to show up for nearly 3 weeks and totalled July for me. I still might get out there this month. My copy of the DH book is almost 10 years old but the road should still be pretty darned good, I doubt they've straightened it out any.

Not sure how you're getting to Yakima, you have a choice of 410 and 12. If you go 410, there's a nice restaurant - Whistlin' Jacks - on the east side of the pass that makes a nice stop for lunch or a beverage or just stretch your legs on the path around the building and watch the river. I've not taken 12 all the way to Yakima, I usually go 410.

You might encounter land barges along the way, it is summer and the motorhomes are out there. There were some detours on 12 the last time I rode over to Yakima but they may have fixed all the damage. The detours were just as nice so it was no loss. And we have elk in and around that area. They are awfully large and I wouldn't advise close encounters. You're from BC, you probably have just as big 4 footed road menaces as ours...

That's my input for what it's worth. Enjoy your Dave-cation...

Diana

Thanks Very much, Diana for the advice. I'll definitely plan my route in toward the area carefully. And yes, we do get some 4 footed obsticals of unusual size here as well. They always make things interesting. I'll be through that way on Thursday. This is the unfamiliar segment of a 3 day trip. Aerosmith in Tacoma on Wednesday and then pushing through the cascades on Thursday, home on Friday. Should be fun.

Thanks as well vfrrider, that's a pretty useful website.

I'll let you know how I make out, and I'll be sure to post any recommendations I have when I get back.

~Dave

Highway 7 is closed just south of La Grande, short detour through Eatonville. You will miss a short fun twisty section on 7 by La Grande. Or if you find Orville road between Orting to Eatonville that is nice route. On 706 you will pay an entrance fee to enter Mt. Rainier Park which needs your money and is a beautiful park. Stop at Paradise and take a hike. When you reach 123 you can go right to 12 or left to 410. Either will take you to Yakima. 410 has a very scenic spot at the summit. If you choose 12 there is a nice road around the south side of Rim Rock lake. Overall this a relaxing scenic route especially through Mt Rainier. Traffic can be steady motor homes and gawking visitors so be patient it is worth the view. Roads are nice and twisty but too much traffic to do any racing through the gorgeous scenery. Lighter traffic on week days. Enjoy.

Thx BadBoy for the tip on hwy 7, I'll be sure to plan accordingly. As for the park fee, that's one of the things I don't really disagree with. Sounds fairly inexpensive for a good ride. My course is all laid out now. Thanks everyone for your input/advice.

~Dave

• Member Contributer

I always liked Rte 2 through Leavenworth. Then down to Ellensburg and back across whites pass rte 12.

(could be part of what is being suggested, my memory fails me since its been a while.....)

Archived