6th Gen OEM Top Box Carrier

LuckyDog

• Member Contributer

I've just purchased a set of brand new OEM side case and top box with all mounts from Doble Honda in England for AUD$1,500 including postage to Oz :smile:

http://www.vfrdiscus...n-instructions/

Unfortunately I had a small issue when it came to mounting the top box carrier. When it came to bolting the carrier base to the bracket as shown on pg 3 of the installation instructions there was still a fair bit of lateral movement. I thought I'd nip it up a little bit tighter and managed to snap the 6mm socket bolt (a good reason to only tighten things as far as the manufacturer recommends) :sad: Off to the hardware store for a replacement. Even before I snapped the bolt it just didn't seem to be creating enough pressure to hold the two parts together firmly.

Is the lateral movement normal or is there another way this is supposed to be done? As I said, I've followed the instructions and it seems too loose.

I'm pretty certain that for whatever reason - there IS supposed to be movement in that style of top box mount. I never understood why - but it is there on mine, and others that I've seen.

IF anyone knows why the "wiggle" room is built it - I'd love to learn what it is.

You can't feel the wiggle but other riders have commented on it (making the top box a bad camera mount location).

A passenger resting on it would stop the wiggle further.

The only reason I can figure is that it was engineered that way to eliminate possible stress fractures at the hard bolt mount points from the vibration.

Much like Staintune redesigning their mid-pipe with a rubber gromment that the mounting bolt now mounts through.

• Member Contributer

Glad to hear it's a normal thing. Looks like the sideways movement is limited by those little rubber stoppers on the metal bracket so I might try spacing them out by a couple of mm's just to limit it that little bit more.

Archived