Speedohealer and VFR1200

Guest NZTitanium

Guest NZTitanium

Am thinking of getting a VFR1200 to go from my VFR800 which has a speedohealer installed to correct the error. Does anyone know if the speedohealer will work okay on the 1200 without issues and if so what cable kit do I need?

Tried searching the net but didn't get any real hits.

Am thinking of getting a VFR1200 to go from my VFR800 which has a speedohealer installed to correct the error. Does anyone know if the speedohealer will work okay on the 1200 without issues and if so what cable kit do I need?

I've found the VFR1200 to have a very accurate speedometer. Whenever I go by those radar speed signs it's right on the speed they display.

• Member Contributer

I've found the VFR1200 to have a very accurate speedometer. Whenever I go by those radar speed signs it's right on the speed they display.

I second this, the 1200 does not have the 5% built in error that many other bikes have. The speedometer matches perfectly with GPS measured speed.

Thanks for the feedback. In this day and ages of electronics there should be no reason why they should not be 100% accurate. Will see what happens when it arrives. I know my VFR800 was 12% out when I got it with the OEM tyres but when I changed to M5's it dropped back to 8% out.

By law a speedometer can not read slower that actual vehicle speed. Due to possible variables such as differences in tire size speedometers are calibrated to read several percent faster than actual vehicle speed. A manufacturer who's speedo reads slower that actual vehicle speed, on an unaltered vehicle can face severe fines. It's unlikely you will ever find a speedo that reads exact speed. Typical navigational GPS can also be off by up to 5mph. Road side radar speed displays can also be off as they do not require accuracy certification of any kind.

Mine is always spot on going by the speed displays on the road. I pass two permanent ones on the way to work and have varied my speed to check the veracity of the bike and sign. Always correct.

Ride safe.

Edit: I had a Speedohealer on my 6th gen and liked it a lot. Wish I had them on all my previous bikes. My 7th gen needs no such adjustment. Perhaps Honda programmed your bike in NZ different than US models due to a legal or other requirement there. If you get a Speedohealer, my previous one worked as advertised.

Edit: I had a Speedohealer on my 6th gen and liked it a lot. Wish I had them on all my previous bikes. My 7th gen needs no such adjustment. Perhaps Honda programmed your bike in NZ different than US models due to a legal or other requirement there. If you get a Speedohealer, my previous one worked as advertised.

I have a speedohealer in my 6th gen. Needed to because without cars and even big trucks were passing me like I was standing still. Very dangerous. Open road speed limit is 100kph. Without the speedohealer my bike was realy doing 88kph when it said 100. There is no such law about speedos having to read low but nearly all speedo read low in NZ. Usually about 3-6%. Speed tollerance for police is 10kph most times but drops to 4 on holidays. My Highlander car reads accurate.

Fingers crossed I don't need it. Took a 2010 model for a ride yesterday. Really liked it the torque it has.

I didn't realize you hadn't bought it yet. If it is the same as my US model, it should not be an issue. I love my 7th gen and have no regrets about my purchase.

Ride safe.

Archived