bad secondary master cylinder?

skymon

• Member Contributer

So I've bled all the brake lines according to the FSM. I've rotated the left front caliper and tapped with screwdriver. I've zip-tied and waited. I've run more than a quart of new fluid through. When I bleed out the PCV with the pedal, no more air but I get squish sound up front and only one firm pump with the secondary master cylinder. Next few pumps with SMC are "empty". Wait a few minutes and one firm pump at SMC again.

At what point do I suspect the seals in the SMC?

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Yep. Finally got it. Jay-D did a really nice write up by the way. His was also the first thread I found (and I read dozens) that addressed my confusion about the Secondary Master Cylinder.

In a PM he explained: "Since the SMC doesn't have a reservoir, my helper would pump the pedal once and release, I would pump the SMC only once and not release until my helper pumped the pedal again which forcefully released the SMC. When I was figuring this all out, I would pump the SMC, then release, then pump again and release, but since new fluid wasn't entering in to the system via the rear pedal lever; air was coming back in to the lines."

Anyway, check out

• 1 month later...

Archived