Kill switch

Guest Bigfosty

Guest Bigfosty

After getting the brakes done I took her out for a spin. Stopped at a buddies house, fired it up for him then shut it off using the kill switch. Went to leave and the bike wouldn't start. Sort of jiggled the switch and flipped it back and forth a few times and she started, obviously it's the switch. What do I need to look for when taking this apart? Would you reccomend tearing it apart, or just replacing?

Are you sure the transmission was in neutral when you tried to restart the engine? If not, and by chance if you had the kickstand deployed that switch or the neutral switch can also cause problems since the motor won't start if the system senses the the transmission is in gear and the kickstand is down even when the clutch is pulled in.

Since the kickstand switch is subject to getting grimy over time, I wouldn't automatically assume the kill switch was the cause of your problem. The neutral switch, kickstand switch, ignition switch and kill switch could all cause the problem you experienced, so you might want to check, clean and lube them as well..

Archived