1984 vf750 idle and carbs

Guest steve1979

Guest steve1979

i am rebuilding a 1984 interceptor 750 rebuild the carbs and sealed the tank bike was running fine till i drove it bike dies when hot and when idling it is not stablle when i give it fuel revs stay high and takes forever to come back down

If anybody has an idea would be appreciated thanks

• 5 months later...

yea the bike will fast idle when it starts overheating. not sure if its by design or fluke (cooling fans should kick on and fast idle circluates coolant faster). check your coolant level both in the overflow AND in the rad. also you will not get a good idle unless the carbs are sync'd properly. set your idle to 1300-1500 rpm when the engine temp is at a fully warmed up operating temperature (should be about 94C). Also the first generation VF's were not designed for low speed driving so they will start to overheat from lack of airflow through the rads anywhere below about 50km/h constant.

Idle circuit is highly susceptable to contamination in these carbs (due to the small orifice) from dirt, varnished fuel, etc.

if the idle is always a problem, I'd start there first.

Clean out all the jets and circuits while you're at it.

This can all be done with only the float bowls removed. Problem is you have to pull the carbs off to get to the bowls and jets.

Then synch 'em up when you put it all back together.

I stabilize the fuel in my bike and drain the bowls every year.

Every spring I have still have to clean the jets. Just seems to be a "VF thing".....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived