Vf500f Pictures and Painting

Guest eamann

Guest eamann

Alright guys,

So thanks to all the help from you here on the forum (especially invisiblecities, a walking encyclopedia of information about interceptors), I was able to get the bike up and running strong. Total cost of bike with parts (not including 100 hours of work!) was about $850. Time to start making her look pretty. Here's a list of things I am going to do...

Rebuild brakes (possibly new lines if it's in the budget)

Paint anything that needs it (especially the frame)

New sprockets/chain possibly

Paint rims (not sure about this yet)

Belly fairing needs paint

Painting the forks (I hate the red, maybe black?)

The right side casing is scraped pretty bad. I don't know exactly what I want to do with that. Suggestions?

Exhaust mod

6967450877_c4a693dea1_z.jpg

DSC01052 by eamann66, on Flickr

6821325400_25cab4ceca_z.jpg

DSC01051 by eamann66, on Flickr

6967453901_b3ea096a7e_z.jpg

DSC01053 by eamann66, on Flickr

For the right side engine cover, you could remove it, file the damaged area a bit to remove most of the scratches, then repaint it gloss black again.

I did that with a VF750 and it turned out not too bad. Several coats with the part laid on its back almost filled the scratches.

The paint is only limited by your imagination.

As for exhaust, there is nothing out there, so you're stuck with finding a set of dual cans on eBay and adapting them with custom midpipes from your stock collector box. Bear in mind that most full size bikes will use cans that are quite long and look out of proportion on the miniceptor. Either cut them down or find some shorties like the stunters use. And most cans nowadays use a 2 inch inlet pipe and I'll bet the outlets from your collector box are 1.5 inch or close to that, so you will need to step up/down your pipe size to suit.

What kind of money are we talking for parts making a custom exhaust? I can get a welder and everything but I don't know what we're looking at price wise for pipe for the bike. Is that a possibility or is that just a silly dream of mine?

If you are paying someone else to do it, you will pay more than the bike is worth. I was suggesting keeping the stock headpipes and collector, and just fabbing a set of slipons. The midpipes would only be like a foot long or so, so easy to do.

• Member Contributer

On this note, slip-ons rob power over stock.

If going for a 4-1 system you'll need some serious design skills to get everything dialed in. Even then expect a drop at mid-range.

I'd invest in other upgrades (i.e. new monoshock) before diving into a custom exhaust (my 2 cents of course).

Good luck either way and look forward to seeing the progress!

Yes I was looking into that the other day. Probably a better investment to start.

Also, I need to strip the cans and repaint them. Should I just use a wire brush with a drill on the can?

I believe the factory finish is a type of black chrome. You probably aren't going to get that off without a chemical bath or glass bead blasting.

Best method would be a chemical dip and strip at a chrome shop followed by replating or ceramic coating, but then again, you're soon spending more than a pristine example of the bike would be worth.

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of a new shock. What am I looking for? I would like to get one sometime in the future.

Also, is it doable for someone who does not have a metal shop to do a front and rear wheel swap for the f2 conversion? Anyone know of the right thread to be looking at?

I'd recommend an F4i shock conversion (with remote reservoir) from DMr.

showaf4ivf500fmod03-08-09vfrworld.jpg

Buy the shock and make yourself some adapters for it, save a lot of money ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

What is this about "SAVING" money? I know how to SPEND money just fine and now you are telling me its possible to SAVE as well?! Say more... ;)

Archived