Guest toysrme

Guest toysrme

Hi, I've been looking into buying a VFR1200 for a couple months and have been catching up on the recent developments with the Bazzaz Z-Bomb.

I was wondering if anyone else has approached someone like Ivan's Performance Products (http://ivansperformanceproducts.com/) regarding developing a Fuel Cut Eliminator. I believe aftermarket FCE's were originally developed in response to snatchy off-throttle behavior in fuel injected engines due to the EPA requiring that fuel get cutoff.

In any case, they have experience making FCE's for other bikes that use the 5th gear map for all gears to eliminate 1st and 2nd gear detuning while also allowing the bike's gear indicators to work. We'd discussed whether it would work with a DCT model and they didn't know of a reason why not.

The FCE's they make for other bikes run for about $200 and they'd be interested in exploring the opportunity to build one for the VFR if someone local to them in the Congers, NY area would be willing to bring their bike into their shop

Any takers?

The only problem that I see with that idea is that based off my experience with the 1200 (couple thousand miles) - The restricted 1st/2nd is not mixture related as in Air/Fuel or related signifigantly to the secondary exhaust valve in the OEM muffler, but rather, a throttle restriction that is only giving us like 80% or whatever as an example, until XXXX RPM. Seeing as the VFR I believe is the first or one of the first throttle by wire motorcycles, I see this being easier for honda to do, they obviously control throttle opening through the ECU already because the DCT models rev match downshifts somewhat I believe. If that capability exists, I doubt mixture/fuel cutoff has anything to do with the horsepower being free'd up by the Bazzaz units, I have a z-bomb myself and after installing it it just feels like I have something closer to natural (cable style) throttle control in gears 1&2... Dutchgixxer correct me if I'm wrong as you seem to be the guru on this. Besides, wouldn't a PCV correct a mixture related low rpm bog? And the reason they do not is because uts throttle mapping causing the HP restriction?

The device is called a Fuel Cut Eliminator based on the problem they were originally designed to solve. The functionality has expanded to cover applications like this.

For example, the Bazzazz unit just changes the wiring to fool the ECM into using the 3rd gear map. Ivan's FCE's do this electronically to use the 5th gear map.

Could they make one for the VFR? I'd like to see them give it a try because I just put money down on a DCT model.

The device is called a Fuel Cut Eliminator based on the problem they were originally designed to solve. The functionality has expanded to cover applications like this.

For example, the Bazzazz unit just changes the wiring to fool the ECM into using the 3rd gear map. Ivan's FCE's do this electronically to use the 5th gear map.

Could they make one for the VFR? I'd like to see them give it a try because I just put money down on a DCT model.

It'll be very difficult to do for the "pre 2012 DCT", the PCM (for the DCT models) needs to know exactly which gear is engaged to allow further gear changes up or down, telling the PCM it's in 5th gear all the time via a Z-bomb or an electronic FCE will pretty much disable the whole DCT system.

Cheers,

Smithy.

• Member Contributer
Ivan's FCE's do this electronically to use the 5th gear map.

How do you know that? I called Ivan once to ask him how the FCE worked and he gave me the usual "secret sauce" garbage.

• 3 weeks later...

How do you know that? I called Ivan once to ask him how the FCE worked and he gave me the usual "secret sauce" garbage.

I spoke with Ivan's son (who works for him) about this for about 15 minutes.

But there is no 5th gear map??

Its the example he cited from another bike. Feel free to contact them directly with any further questions.

• Member Contributer

I spoke with Ivan's son (who works for him) about this for about 15 minutes.

If it works this way, why is the FCE influenced by an after market filter or exhaust ?

Trying to understand in the past the concept, I found out that they probably intercept the signal of the map sensor.

If so, it has to do with the manifold pressure when the throttle is closed.

• 3 weeks later...

I can assure you Kaldek that a Z-bomb does not work for a 2010 DCT as I tried one.

I would love to have a z-bomb type fix for my bike TRUST me.

I can assure you Kaldek that a Z-bomb does not work for a 2010 DCT as I tried one.

I would love to have a z-bomb type fix for my bike TRUST me.

Let's hope KAINZINGER in Germany can solve the problem.They are developing a Drive by Wire Eliminator Module. At this moment very little in known about this.

http://vfr-1200-tuning.de/neu-hinzugefuegt-und-was-kommt-noch/index.html

Archived