Anyone running a Zumo 550 with the XM radio option?

Guest bbenthin

Guest bbenthin

Is anyone running a Zumo 550 with the XM radio option?

Curious as to how well it works and how/where you wired/placed the XM antenna?

I really like the idea of one unit that satisfies my desire for nav and sat radio.

Used 550s can be had for quite a bit cheaper than buying the new 665 that does the same thing...

It'd be nice to be able to listen to music, yet still take advantage of the audible instructions from the GPS. :musik20:

Not sure that's possible with separate units.

Any of your thoughts or experiences would be mucho appreciado. :smile:

Brian... Have had great success with a Zumo 550 and GSXM 30 antenna. For five years. But would note I use it with the BMW R1200RT, and not the VFR. I listen to XM, MP3's, audio books, and GPS instructions all through my ear plugs (with speakers). The Zumo rests in a Zumo cradle. On one side of the cradle there are inputs for power and the XM antenna signal. On the other side of the cradle is where I connect my ear plug jack. The cradle is connected to a RAM mount. So far so good. Now where to put the antenna. cyclegadgets.com used to sell a thin bracket that would attach to the back of the Zumo cradle, and at the top the bracket had a small metal platform where the heavy magnet of the GSXM 30 would rest securely. I have basically an all in one unit. Now, the issue is cyclegadgets.com has gone out of business!?! So I don't know if this is an option anymore or anywhere. Perhaps going to Google and searching on GXSM 30 antenna mounts you can come across one that works with a set-up you are considering. But at least I can confirm... the 550/GSXM 30 combo works great. Never an issue over many miles in all kinds of weather.

Here's a screen capture from a video last week where my set-up can be seen...

zumo.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've had my setup for about 5 years now as well. I only problem I have is after having washed the bike. I guess I'm using a different mount that Sfarson, although it is the one that came with the GPS, because my power and antenna connections are behind where the GPS attaches in the mount. My car mount with the suction cup has the power, antenna connection, and audio jack is on the side like his. The connection on the mount that I use on the bike is a low spot and water collects there when washed. This causes it to lose connection intermittently until I rid the connection of corrosion. As for where I mounted the antenna, it's on the top of my clutch master cylinder. You can view a picture where you can barely make out the antennain my gallery http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/sizes/33325-05-on-the-back-stretch-of-ims/large/. I'll try and take a better picture when I get home. I also have Helibars, and it does NOT interfere with any fairings. To make a quick assessment, I'd do it all again just the same way.

hondalover... You're right, the power/xm connections to the cradle are in front of the cradle, behind where the GPS sits. I plug them in from the right given the angle of the connector, but forgot the ports are not on the side. I think we're using the same mount/cradle.

Great info guys!

As for where I mounted the antenna, it's on the top of my clutch master cylinder. You can view a picture where you can barely make out the antennain my gallery http://www.vfrdiscus...h-of-ims/large/. I'll try and take a better picture when I get home.

Hondalover, nice bike (I have the same one)! Nice install as well.

I have the same trunk and was thinking about removing the Givi logo on the lid and mounting the antenna there.

Do you think there's enough cable or that this idea is even viable?

• Member Contributer

You could mount it to the trunk, but the wire does come out the side. So you would have a cord running along the top of the box. Plus you would have to mount the antenna through the plastic. I'm not sure I'd want to compromise the water-tightness of the trunk for that. But the cord "should" be long enough to mount it there if you desire. Also, when taking the picture, I measured the two items. The Givi logo is 2" and the antenna is 3.75". I hope the picture helps.

Zumo 550 and XM antenna

Archived