Power commander IIIusb and V compatibility question

DavidEW

I have a 98 5th gen vfr800 with Delkavic pipe and i'm looking to buy a used PC. remember my bike year has no cat or oxygen sensors. my plan is eventually to buy a new SS complete exhaust system since mine are all rusted. couple questions-

what years PC fit my bike - i see different answers when i search here and VFRworld. i read the newest i can use is a IIIusb (not the V). true? doesn't seem to make sense. i figure the only bike specific thing about the PCs are the connecting harness which i assume works for at least all 5th gens 98-01 and more than likely all the way through the 6th gen unless Honda for some reason decided to change it. and do i really need the PCV since i live in LA where there isn't much change in elevation or weather? also i plan to take the bike to my local PC center and get it dyno'd and mapped.

thanks in advance-

david

• Member Contributer

AFAIK you can use any PC from '98 on (I'm using one off an '06 model). The III and V both use the same map format. If all you want to do is set it and forget it then get the III.

-Jake

Cool thanks, good to know - I see you have an '84. My first bike was an '86 Interceptor. Loved that bike, got full fairings, it was fun...real easy to ride.

Since you have the same '98 as me what's the deal with the O2 sensors? Do I need to get holes drilled in the pipes or not needed?

• Member Contributer

You only need the O2 sensor it you want to run the V with autotune. Since the V is only set up to run with one sensor I'd just weld a bung in the collector and call it good.

-Jake

• Member Contributer

I'd like to get a V at some point because I want to play with gear mapping but the III has been working great for me so far.

-Jake

Archived