D&D exhaust

skirack

• Member Contributer

Alright, I have about 1000 miles on my D&D slip on pipe. It makes my fourth gen. sound great, no complaints in that department. I am wondering from the others who might be running D&D pipes if you get a lot of exhaust popping when you let off the throttle (engine breaking) at RPM's above 4000. Is this normal for a slip on pipe or is it doing any damage to anything? BTW the bike is completely stock otherwise. No mods to air filter or carbs.

Thanks

Guest vfrrider

Normal. D&D is very free flowing (i.e. LOUD) and will lean out the lean part of the fuel curve so you will get a little backfire at speed.

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer

I've had mine on my '97 for about 5 years now. Same situation with some light popping on deceleration. It did it with the stock air filter/ jets and does it with the K&N filter and a recent complete carb tear-down. Spark plugs look nice and tan so there's no issue in that dept either. The D&D is about 1/3 the weight of the stock pipe and the sound level is a funny issue. The VFR crowd thinks they are too loud and my HD buddies keep asking me if the ike is even running.

I also have a D&D slip on and yes it does pop a little when i let off of it but i extended the mid pipe and mounted it under the tail so its not to loud. I think it has gotten better with a little age on it but it can get a little loud when you crank on it. Riding buddys laugh and tell me it sounds like they are watching nascar.

• Member Contributer

I've got a D&D slip-on, K&N air filter and stock jetting. Very light popping on decel. I think you're fine as it is. :biggrin:

Archived