FAMSA Tank Bag

Guest emack007

Hey there, I am curious has anyone heard of or used the FAMSA tank bags? They are expensive! http://www.bikerworl....com/famsa.html I have been looking at them on the net but hard to pull the trigger without actually seeing it in person.

I agree...the price sure does seem expensive for a tank bag. There are tail trunks and hard saddlebags available for that much money, or considerably less in many cases.

If greater carrying capacity and the versatility of being able to choose between two different size bags which can be used individually or zipped together to form a huge single unit may interest you, I recommend you consider the Tourmaster Cortech TriBag tank bag system. I purchased mine for $88 about a month ago from the following seller. http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

This seller offers the Cortech TriBag with magnetic mount and free shipping via Fedex for at least $20 less than any other seller I've found on the net. I also thought it was strange when I visited the seller's e-store and discovered the price for a strap-on version of the same bag is listed higher than for the magnetic mount version. Contrastingly, the opposite is generally true for the two versions (i.e. the strap mount version is generally priced lower than, or the same as the magnetic mount version) judging from other sellers' advertisements I've found. Note that the larger of the two tank bags has built in, adjustable shoulder straps which allow it to be worn as a back pack. Either bag can also be used as a tail bag without much difficulty as well.. Additionally, the provided rain cover has adjustment points which allow it to contract to fit the smaller bag alone, or expand to fit the larger, or both bags when they're zipped together.

The two tank bag units included have capacities of 10 L & 24 L, or both can be zipped together to form a single unit to provide up to 34 L of storage. Note that this volume equals the maximum capacity advertised for the largest FAMSA bag.

TourMaster also offers a variety of saddle and tail bags which in some cases can be mounted and used separately, or are designed to allow the tail bag to be quickly snapped together to form a single unit with the saddle bags.

I also recenty purchased a set of Cortech sport saddlebags in like-new condition for ~1/2 MSRP from a local seller who advertised them via craigslist,. Although I haven't had opportunity to my recently acquired tank and saddle bags during a trip yet, I've been favorably impressed by the design features, choice of materials, quality of construction and functionality of each. Although the magnets in the base mounting unit seem to be very powerful, a safety strap is also included to wrao around the steering stem and attach via quick-onnect to the magnetic base for more security. Allo of the products' zippers also appear to be of good quality and are smooth in operation.

At $88, the Cortech TriBag is available for less than half (at least 62% less) than the price lised for a comparably sized FAMSA bag @ $229 before shipping costs are factored in!

Carey

• Member Contributer

I've used # 244 on a Ducati. It's a well made bag. A bit bulky and a little overkill unless you like to carry most of your gear in a tank bag. If going big, I prefer a tail back or top box *gasp*.

The Cortech bag was another I was looking at as well. One thing that the Famsa bags have that I noticed is an opening for the gas tank. So you would not have to remove the magnets when filling at the pump. You unzip the bag and start filling. That feature alone may not be worth the extra cost?

• 10 months later...

Hi folks, new to VFRs. Just picked up a black 2004 with 11k! Looking at doing some long distance so luggage would be crucial. I would like a tank bag that has some decent capacity. I believe magnets would be OK but after reading these post I think I may pass on the scratches. I want some thing I could store things I may want to quickly access on the road i.e. phone, rain gear, water bottle etc. Of course, like most people on here, I don't want to spend a ton of dough.

Archived