Jacket Suggestions?

beigs

• Member Contributer

When I bought my VFR a few years ago, I shoved out a couple hundred bucks for a Scorpion jacket. I actually like the jacket and for the most part, it seems to fit well (in an XL). Unfortunately, when I assume the riding position, the sleeves ride up quite a bit, about 2 inches or more of my arm is exposed with shorty gloves on. It has always bothered me.

I went to the store recently and tried on a few jackets and frankly, seemed to experience the same issue with multiple brands, including Shift and Icon. The XXL seemed to be a little better, but was too big everywhere else and I've heard it is a bad idea to wear a jacket that is too big?

Any suggestions? I was looking at this Speed and Strength Jacket that has the thumb holes in the sleeves, but they're only in the liner and frankly, I don't use a liner that much as I rarely ride in cold weather.

Any ideas for a 6'1"/210 lb guy with unusually long monkey arms?

• Member Contributer

I would say a custom Jacket form Motoport or go to full length gloves.

When I bought my VFR a few years ago, I shoved out a couple hundred bucks for a Scorpion jacket. I actually like the jacket and for the most part, it seems to fit well (in an XL). Unfortunately, when I assume the riding position, the sleeves ride up quite a bit, about 2 inches or more of my arm is exposed with shorty gloves on. It has always bothered me.

I went to the store recently and tried on a few jackets and frankly, seemed to experience the same issue with multiple brands, including Shift and Icon. The XXL seemed to be a little better, but was too big everywhere else and I've heard it is a bad idea to wear a jacket that is too big?

Any suggestions? I was looking at this Speed and Strength Jacket that has the thumb holes in the sleeves, but they're only in the liner and frankly, I don't use a liner that much as I rarely ride in cold weather.

Any ideas for a 6'1"/210 lb guy with unusually long monkey arms?

I'm just under 6', and my wing span is 6'2". So I can sort of relate to your situation. My wife calls me gorilla arms. :)

Juse bought a Dainese Jacket yesterday. Fits even better than the Alpinestar I had in the same size. Picked it up from Cycle Gear store.

Tourmaster makes jackets and pants in tall sizes. It makes a world of difference. I've had the same issue (6' + wingspan) finding jackets that make it to my wrist and that fit properly. I've also found a few in Joe Rocket that are tall as well. Haven't found any leather jackets at all that are designed for tall people.

• Member Contributer

I could swing over to GH sometime if you want to try my jacket on, but I'm about 170, so it might be more like a scene from Tommy Boy than anything.

Do you have gauntleted gloves?

I have the same issue.....6'3" tall with 36" sleeve. I have a Tourmaster Pivot 2 jacket in LargeTall that I've owned for a couple of years and it's perfect. Has a zip out liner for cooler weather and then lots of vents for hot. Overall, I like it alot, however I have been looking for a mesh jacket for summer as my Tourmaster gets a little toasty on really hot days. From my recent visits to cycle shops looking around, I know that the Scorpion Hat Trick comes in Tall sizes as do at least some of the Joe Rocket jackets. I will tell you that the LargeTall in the Scorpion and the Joe Rocket jackets I've tried on felt smaller around the torso than my Tourmaster, so I'm probably going to get an XLTall if I get either one of those. The Scorpion Hat Trick in XLTall was just about perfect for me when I tried it on. For your reference, I'm 6'3", 205 lbs, 36" waist.

Being tall has its benefits, but also its drawbacks......buying clothes (long sleeves especially) just sucks.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Aerostich will also tailor to suit -- to the point of making sure the pads are at your elbow instead of merely making the sleeves the right overall length.

Price, but good.

+1 on my Firstgear leather... Best sleeve length! I would rather wear a bit shorter sleeve (If i have to ) with longer gloves, that fits my body, than to risk jacket ride up in a get-off cause my jacket is too loose... My Alpinestar mesh is a little short of sleeve, but fits my bod perfectly. I have two S&S jackets and the sleeve length is spot on; but the body is just a little loose. I am 6', go about 183# and normally wear a large jacket--except for the sleeves...

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. After taking it all in, and reading a whole butt load of reviews online, I decided to go a different route: I ordered a SS mesh jacket from NewEnough. After reading a bunch of reviews on the SS gear, I was kind of surprised how many people made a point of mentioning how great the arm lengths were. While I was ordering the jacket, I noticed the NewEnough had a pair of really nice SS gauntlet gloves on closeout...19 BUCKS! So I ordered those in the hopes that I can keep the Scorpion jacket for the cooler days.

Again...thanks or the help! I'll let you know my thoughts on the mesh jacket after a little trial.

Guest 93Octane

i just bought a nice dainese str pelle, its very comfortable. i removed the inner shoulder pads because it has metal on the shoulders on the outside of the jacket, plus you dont look like a football player with wide shoulders.

Archived