Pic of 6th Gen hard pannier rack mounts without the pannier's attached?

Guest Jasonbeerfridge

Guest Jasonbeerfridge

Anybody have a photo of a VFR 800 FI, ready to have hard panniers attached?

I'd like to see what the bike looks like with just the mounts on, from the sides & the rear if possible.

Givi, OEM, whatever's out there.

I like the idea of hard panniers, despite the expense, but don't want the bike to look like it's hidden under scaffolding.

I realise you can't have your cake & eat it, but I'm curious as to how unobtrusive they appear.

Thanks in advance if anyone has a snap to post.

• Member Contributer

I don've have a pic handy, but I think I can say that anyone not used to pannier racks would say it looks like scaffolding, but that an owner of panniers wouldn't even notice them. I for one, haven't noticed mine for years unless I try to look at them!

The "racks" are really easy to remove and it improves the aesthetics of the bike tremendously in my opinion. I take the entire unit off together including the passenger pegs & brackets. takes about 20 minutes - 10 total bolts

are those the quick release givis?

My Givi V35 racks have more racks pieces and mine are harder to take off

are those the quick release givis?

My Givi V35 racks have more racks pieces and mine are harder to take off

they are the oem racks

Man I wish I had the quick release those are sweet.

I love my set up but wish I has a quick option per say to remove racks.

• Member Contributer

Will the OEM cases fit the quick release racks?

I don't think so. The OEM bags are made by GIVI but it's a Honda only part and design.

I'll add a picture once I get one, but I just added the Honda top case as well. Still not sure if I'm going to use the top case or panner's for the trip to T-mac. The top box is going disco with Honda Canada so I wanted to get it for when the wife comes along. Still not sure about its look as it hangs a long way off the back of the bike.

• Member Contributer

I don't think so. The OEM bags are made by GIVI but it's a Honda only part and design.

You're right, on closer look I can see they are not at all compatible. Too bad.

Just checking if its possible to mount the rack without the passenger grab rails? Coz getting the OEM panniers soon and I have removed the passenger grab rails from my bike....now for me to fit the rack and OEM panniers do I need to put back the grab rails?

• Member Contributer

Just checking if its possible to mount the rack without the passenger grab rails? Coz getting the OEM panniers soon and I have removed the passenger grab rails from my bike....now for me to fit the rack and OEM panniers do I need to put back the grab rails?

That's a rubber piece between the grab rails and the factory rack (grab rails are half visible at the top of this pic). The rack mounts with a flat steel flange that will be mostly below the cover panel that you're currently using. You may have to trim your cover a bit on the outside edge.

gallery_20267_5383_86617.jpg

That's a rubber piece between the grab rails and the factory rack (grab rails are half visible at the top of this pic). The rack mounts with a flat steel flange that will be mostly below the cover panel that you're currently using. You may have to trim your cover a bit on the outside edge.

gallery_20267_5383_86617.jpg

Thanks looks like I have to put back the grab rails back for the panniers.

• 3 months later...

You're right, on closer look I can see they are not at all compatible. Too bad.

Can someone tell me if the OEM bags can be easily/quickly removed? thx.

OEM bags are removed by unlocking them with key and lifting up on the handles. They then just lift off. About as long to do that as it would be to bend over and pick a suitcase up of the ground. Very easy to mount and remove.

Archived