Engine Temp Sensor - 6th Gen

Oh6PearlVFR

• Member Contributer

Fellow Viffers

I washed my bike today and as always, quick wash, light spray down and thorough wipe down. When I fired up the bike the Engine Temp Sensor started acting goofy.

I thought maybe some condensation etc. so I let it dry for a while, took the bike around the hood and let it warm up, cool down, warm up and so on.

I restarted again and same issue. The temperature is alternating between 3 readings about 20 degrees apart as the bike warms up

So 105, 118, 95, 135, 138, 115, 160, 185, 201, and so on,

The good news is the idle is sound, the engine runs fine and the fan kicks on when it gets above 210 so

What do you guys think I can check without ripping the front end off and digging through harnesses etc.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Fellow Viffers

I washed my bike today and as always, quick wash, light spray down and thorough wipe down. When I fired up the bike the Engine Temp Sensor started acting goofy.

I thought maybe some condensation etc. so I let it dry for a while, took the bike around the hood and let it warm up, cool down, warm up and so on.

You may have to pull a side fairing to get access and then disconnect and blow compressed air into the connector terminal lug at the sensor to dry it out, then slather some of that pink conductive jelly used on battery terminals into the lug and around the mate, then reconnect--the jelly will keep water out and help maintain oxide-free terminals for good 'lectric conductivity...

Archived