MRA VarioTour screen

Guest MrGone

Guest MrGone

I am a tall rider — 6'4" — and I sit pretty high above the stock windscreen. Which is okay for short 100-mile or 200-mile rides, but for touring longer distances I am considering buying an MRA VarioTour for my 2004 VFR. If anyone out there has this windscreen on their 6th-gen, please let me know what you think of it. Love it? Hate it? I am particularly interested in the opinions of tall riders. Does the MRA Vario increase or decrease wind noise or buffeting? Also, pictures would be appreciated. The photo on the Twisted Throttle website doesn't really show me how tall the windscreen is. I have purchased a lot of gear, clothes, and equipment based on your opinions, and you guys have never let me down. Thanks for that!!!

Also, if anyone has found another windscreen which decreases wind noise/buffeting, please let me know.

Thanks in advance to everyone reading / posting replies.

• Member Contributer

Matt,

I had one on my 6th Gen & loved it! I am not that tall however.....5' 8". It was well worth the money to me and I loved the adjustable wing for summer or winter riding. Here it is on my 6th gen. I did not have buffeting problems with mine at the helmet or on the windscreen itself.

gallery_6467_1043_8003.jpg

I am a tall rider — 6'4" — and I sit pretty high above the stock windscreen. Which is okay for short 100-mile or 200-mile rides, but for touring longer distances I am considering buying an MRA VarioTour for my 2004 VFR. If anyone out there has this windscreen on their 6th-gen, please let me know what you think of it. Love it? Hate it? I am particularly interested in the opinions of tall riders. Does the MRA Vario increase or decrease wind noise or buffeting? Also, pictures would be appreciated. The photo on the Twisted Throttle website doesn't really show me how tall the windscreen is. I have purchased a lot of gear, clothes, and equipment based on your opinions, and you guys have never let me down. Thanks for that!!!

Also, if anyone has found another windscreen which decreases wind noise/buffeting, please let me know.

Thanks in advance to everyone reading / posting replies.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently installed the VarioTour and like it. I am only 5'9" but I sit more upright because of my Convertibars. The MRA with the wing flattened is as tall as my previous Honda European screen which I have used for many years. I posted back then that I did prefer the European screen over the stock screen because of no perceptive decrease in the amount of wind buffeting.

With MRA VarioTour wing parallel with the windscreen (down), the airflow is smooth with definitely less buffeting than the European screen, despite the equal height. The gap under the wing probably makes the wind more laminar, just like the stock gap between the windshield and the cowl.

With the lip up, I noticed I was cruising at 90 mph but my helmet felt I was going 80 mph. I would have to keep an eye on the speedometer and retune my secondary senses so I won't get a speeding violation. Again, it definitely helps with the buffeting. There is no increase in vibration or shuddering of the windscreen.

Since I do not commute, I have little experience yet with the wind coming from all sides from semi truck trailers' blocking and exposing me to all angles of their head and tail winds.

In regards to noise, I do not seem to notice a difference. Noise is frequently a helmet issue and a good set of earplugs is a cheap and effective alternative.

Contrary to the Honda European screen, recommend it highly the MRA.

Doug

• Member Contributer

I've got one on my 04 VFR and have added stealth edging to it....the screen is well worth the money IMHO. The stealth edging makes a subtle improvement in the smoothness of the air...it's worth it as well for touring.

• Member Contributer

I've got one on my 04 VFR and have added stealth edging to it....the screen is well worth the money IMHO. The stealth edging makes a subtle improvement in the smoothness of the air...it's worth it as well for touring.

What's stealth edging? I've been looking into the MRA also or some other alternative. I had a LP screen(not double bubble) and it looked great but it was not better than the stock windscreen for me, so I switched back. I'm 6'2"ish.

I have one that I purchased about a month ago from a forum member who was returning his bike to stock. I really like it. The windscreen is taller than stock and the adjustable wing gives you options depending on the windspeed. I have to resist the urge to adjust it on the go. I'm 6'1" and have a sergeant seat which is lower than stock, that turbulance experienced off of the stock windshield was driving me nuts. Waiting for a Bugbuster now to try and keep em from going into my helmet and up my nose! Thanks in advance Rivcyko.

• Member Contributer

I've had the Vario on my bike for over 5 years. I don't even remember what the original windscreen was like!

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I bought MRA Vario Touring screen in the end of the summer to by 3rd gen. I had normal MRA Touring screen before but had very hard buffering noise which was really annoying. Vario Touring healed this problem and in the addition it surprised me with the fact that in the rain you can push the flip few knots down to direct the airflow to the visor and now I can see much better when the air cleans the visor.

post-21559-0-28195200-1292271119_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

I have been using a Puig ST screen for a couple of years. The only problem that I've had with it is it just looks cheap.

I asked Santa to bring me a MRA Vario ST for Christmas. I hope to be impressed.

Mac

Matt,

I had one on my 6th Gen & loved it! I am not that tall however.....5' 8". It was well worth the money to me and I loved the adjustable wing for summer or winter riding. Here it is on my 6th gen. I did not have buffeting problems with mine at the helmet or on the windscreen itself.

gallery_6467_1043_8003.jpg

I got mine from Tharkun (Thanks again buddy). It is by far the best screen I have ridden with. I have had 3 screens Stock, ZG and a ZG double bubble. If you can get you hands on one they are amazing. I'm 6' 1" and have have some buffitting (not like with previouse screens) but can adjust the screen on the fly and it's gone.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I have an MRA Touring wind screen too. It's a good option for those who get tired of air drag pretty fast which isn't the case with me. I was thinking of going for ZG or Puig racing wind screen instead.

:offtopic: BTW, any feedback on those two wind screens (ZG, Puig racing models)?

• Member Contributer

What's stealth edging? I've been looking into the MRA also or some other alternative. I had a LP screen(not double bubble) and it looked great but it was not better than the stock windscreen for me, so I switched back. I'm 6'2"ish.

I finally picked up an MRA from a member here a few weeks ago. It is definitely worth it. The wind noise did not decrease but the buffeting is gone compared to the stock screen. I am 6' 3" and It is worth the 150$ let alone the 90$ I paid for it. Go for it. Just don't wait around for Ebay, they almost never showed up.

• Member Contributer

I have an MRA Touring wind screen too. It's a good option for those who get tired of air drag pretty fast which isn't the case with me. I was thinking of going for ZG or Puig racing wind screen instead.

:offtopic: BTW, any feedback on those two wind screens (ZG, Puig racing models)?

At my height (6'2") I actually prefer the stock screen over the ZG touring model. It could be a combo of helmet, screen, and my height who knows. It was quieter but the stock had less buffeting. I have one in dark smoke if you're interested. PM me if you're interested. I'm not trying to make a nest egg or anything. It's in very good shape with all the tabs.

Archived