Tuning Advice '93 750

93 VFR750 RC36

Gents,

I'm just putting my RC36 back on the road with a couple of mods.

I've put a new stainless left exit exhaust on (open race can), UNI filter and modified airbox (de-snorkel + front/top opened up to give about 400% increase in intake area). Should I do anything to the carbs before taking it to get it dyno'd or just let them sort it out? Bear in mind that GP Performance is just down the road (3 miles) and Grant is an award winning aftermarket tuner with a sterling reputation for setting up road and race bikes on the dyno.

He's said it's £40.00 per dyno pull so I figured that I'd leave the jetting stock and see how I get on.

Thoughts?

Stew

• Member Contributer

Gents,

I'm just putting my RC36 back on the road with a couple of mods.

I've put a new stainless left exit exhaust on (open race can), UNI filter and modified airbox (de-snorkel + front/top opened up to give about 400% increase in intake area). Should I do anything to the carbs before taking it to get it dyno'd or just let them sort it out? Bear in mind that GP Performance is just down the road (3 miles) and Grant is an award winning aftermarket tuner with a sterling reputation for setting up road and race bikes on the dyno.

He's said it's £40.00 per dyno pull so I figured that I'd leave the jetting stock and see how I get on.

Thoughts?

Stew

I'd say you are going to be extremely lean if the bike was running stock bits before your above stated mods. I'm assuming that your bike has CV carbs and they aren't real happy when it comes to huge changes in airflow. Like, if someone were to add 400% more airflow, the diaphrams may not want to lift. I have no suggestions for jetting size, so I'd just plan on paying for mulitple dyno pulls if you want to get it right.

I'm not going to get 400% more airflow, I'd need a pretty wicked supercharger for that. I haven't ported the heads, put bigger valves in or changed the cams so the engine is completely stock from that point of view.

I've only allowed for a 400% increase in airbox inlet area. This may allow for a few % increase in manifold pressure at a given throttle setting.

I'd be surprised if I flow more than a few % more airflow, however the increase in intake area should reduce the pressure drop in the airbox on acceleration, resulting in more better response.

It'll probably be a bit lean on stock jetting but just wondered if I could address this with a Factory Pro kit or similar before dynoing. Or would this just be a waste of money if it all needs to be changed again anyway?

Stew