Gswanson's GPS steering stem mount

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

I was in Oklahoma with the new vfr1200 wondering what I was going to do with my gps, the tank bolts are different and I could not mount the ram ball there. Gary looks at it, pulls out a half inch pipe and sticks it in the steering column and its snug and he goes to work cutting welding and drilling me a custom gps mount, even painted it. We used tape to get it tight in the hole and he welded a nub on the side to make it stick up an 1 1/2 from the stem.

gallery_491_5422_193809.jpg

Gswanson - Fabricator GPS vfr1200 stem mount cut - welded - drilled - deburred - painted

I got it home and the tape had held for the most part but the gps would swing out side to side a bit so I went over to a local bike shop and asked if they had an old steering column - man said steering columns are too thick but he had a bolt and wedge for mounting a triatholon bar that was smaller diameter and he pulls out the perfect size wedge and bolt! Perfect $7 and I was home modifing Garys mount. Drilled a hole in the top and a 1/2 hole in the ram ball to fit over the hex bolt and it worked. Tightened up the bolt till the wedge stuck in nicely, I cut some slits in the pipe to let it expand. wow it works great!

gallery_491_3604_185351.jpg

Gswansons Steering stem gps mount Gary welded a 1/2 metal tube to some flat stock then drilled holes shaped and painted the unit welded a nub on the side to make it sit up.

gallery_491_3604_735059.jpg

GPS Mount I modified it by cutting a slit in the side and I bought a bolt and wedge from a bicycle shop for a triathalon handlebar drilled a hole in the top of the mount for the hex bolt

gallery_491_3604_219652.jpg

Ram mount ball I had to drill out a half inch hole to make room for the hex bolt head to bolt the ram to the gps mount

gallery_491_3604_20888.jpg

Slide the mount down the head tube pull up on the hex bolt and thread the wedge til it gets tight