Installing Givi Brake Light kit for E52 on 06 VFR

Guest bassjones

Guest bassjones

Got the top case, got the rack, got the light kit. The rack looks pretty straight forward, and it looks like installing the lights in the case won't be too hard either, but I'm curious as to hooking up the brake light from the rack to the bike... Anybody got a pictorial or anything? Givi's instructions are miserable as usual, and in the case of bike specific instructions on the light kit, non-existent. Which wire(s) do I need to splice into? Are there quick connects on the VFR? It's supposed to be cold and rainy here all week, so now's as good a time as any to get it installed.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Howdy,

The brake light is an easy place to draw power.

The wiring is easily get to, just remove the seat.

3 wires to the brake light, one ground, one hot, one switched from the brake. Can not remember the colors off the top of my head, but simple to work out which is which by trail and error, but I suggest a multi-meter.

Mac

• Member Contributer

Simple, my friend! Tap into the Green/Yellow wire for the brake light positive wire and Green for the ground. The best one to splice into is the upper brake light as it's easy to get to.

If you're not eletrically inclined I recommend the use of Posi-Tap wire splicers. No fuss!

Once that's done, your Givi lights will come on when you brake. If the Givi also has "running lights", then you tap that one into the Brown/Blue wire from the upper brake light.

Simple, my friend! Tap into the Green/Yellow wire for the brake light positive wire and Green for the ground. The best one to splice into is the upper brake light as it's easy to get to.

If you're not eletrically inclined I recommend the use of Posi-Tap wire splicers. No fuss!

Once that's done, your Givi lights will come on when you brake. If the Givi also has "running lights", then you tap that one into the Brown/Blue wire from the upper brake light.

Perfect, thanks!

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump such an old thread.. but I tried to wire my CooCase up (black/red/yellow wires) and had very little success.
I was able to get the brake light to work, but no running lights.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi All

Been a lurker for a few years now and unfortunately my 1st post is to ask for help or advice instead of contributing... :(

Well, long story short, I finally decided to do the LED brake light upgrade to my top box and I am having the same problem that y3v is having. I have an '03 and tapped my wiring from my top box to the top brake and running light connector (pos to G/Y and neg to Green) and for some reason I do not have any running lights in the rear, just my license plate light is working. All turn signals and brake lights are working including top box.

I did the usual checks like wire connections, all fuses, light bulbs and did not find anything amiss. So this has me stumped for the past couple of days... I was reading other posts on wiring where if too much load is put onto the wires it could potentially cause a problem. But seeing that a lot of members have done the upgrade and that my top box brake light works, the load issue may not be the cause of the problem. Although I am not an electrical guru, I may be wrong.

y3v did you ever solve your issue? If so, what did you do? Also if any members can chime in to help out a fellow deprived rider, that would be much appreciated. I would love to go riding without worrying about getting home late into the evening.

Thanks a bunch! I am going to do my a** kissing plug now... VRFD what a great forum!

Waf

Archived