Gutting 5th gen stock can

Zach571

Finally getting to the exhaust on my bike. Gutted the stocker today and this is what I found.

I put film on it to protect the finish while I was working on it, thats why it is white. Notice the very end of the pipe?? It is hemmed over the end cap, then spot welded in 3 places.

l_0f00f9ff34b445d58ee669f43f6954ab.jpg

I ground down the bend of the hem and removed what was left of the inside of the hem.

l_0875156856e9407a9cb213d95e852e11.jpg

I drilled out the 3 spot welds and pulled the end cap off. Found this rusty SOB underneath that.

l_35a7a7b133bb41519fcbcbce381854e7.jpg

welded a pc of scrap to that so I had something to grab on to. Took some force but the whole works slid right out. Has a few baffles, nothing too fancy, looks very restrictive. My goal is to be able to hear it but I do NOT want it loud and obnoxious, while possible gaining some power, not that it needs to be faster.

So my plan is to cut an inch off the back of the can, fab up a new end cap with a perforated tubing welded to it, that will be wrapped in insulation and then slid into the can and riveted to the back of the can. I have access to perforated SS, several different hole sizes to choose from, and a roller. I am a lil limited on how tight of a diameter I can roll it, other than that I can make it whatever diameter I want. Could even make several different end caps with different sized tubing welded to them and try them out. Different hole sizes in the perf as well.

For the end cap I'm thinking I can copy the basic idea of the stocker but have it either slide onto the outside of the can or to the inside, but not recessed like the stock one. Kinda makes for an ugly seam on the factory one. The baffle assembly in the stocker is all made of steel and is rusty, the end cap you see is just there for looks, that is its only function :fing02:

The can is about 19 inches long, the inlet sticks into the can about 5 inches, as a perforated tapered tube that does not end centered in the can. I do not see an easy way to remove that, so thinking of making a slight cone for the inlet of my perforated tube, but the parts I make to add to the can will only be about 14 or 13 inches long.

Any of us would be able to see its not stock at a glance once its done, but I'd like to keep the factory stamped HONDA and paragraph on it, so I can only shorten it about an inch. But as I said, I want to be able to hear but I don't want it to be "loud".

What is a good source to get insulation from??

Zach571

Well I have the plan that was in my head drawn up in CAD. Calculated the flats for all the cones and rings, just need to bring them into work to have them burned out on the laser. Then debur them, roll them, and weld them. Easiest would be to leave a brushed finish on all the parts but the can is already polished, so I should probably polish the end cap as well. Polished can with a brushed cone may look nice... Should all come together nicely. Only thing I do not know is how loud it will be...hopefully it is good the first time :blink:

Pics to come.

Zach571

Edited by Zach571

• Member Contributer

Veefer800Canuck added a link to another post for ceramic wool as the muffler packing material. It's in the post for "Best Grade Of Stainless Steel Wool For Muffler Repack ?" I tried to copy and paste, but it didn't work. I'm going top try the ceramic wool as a packing for my new exhaust that should arrive tomorrow.

Here's the link...

http://www.anvilfire.com/sales/k_index.htm

Like to hear how the finished project sounds... wheel.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

MY exhaust :cheers: :mrgreen:

This is it, this is what I made.

l_59607f535ffc41cb8dae7cc6fe1e6d5d.jpg

Pic on the bench, adding this cus the pic of it on the bike was too reflective and hard to makeout the actual shape of the cone.

l_0733278cf6194d84b30421402bc262c6.jpg

Installed

l_1ce95ae67dba4b2ea5264ade1a8b6e18.jpg

Final product, all polished up :drool:

0419001928.jpg

Packed with FMF 4 stroke insulation. Has a really deep throaty growl to it, no louder than most other sport bikes with aftermarket cans. More power and seems through out the rpm as well and quicker throttle response (didn't notice it till the new exhaust).

Other than my time, picked up another stock can for $25, SS will probably be less than $40, rivets, insulation was $12, so rather cheap mod :laughing6-hehe:

Zach571