Cheap but difficult Mod for tail light!

VFRBenny

Ok, So I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a good set of LED's. I've tryed most all of them! I've tried the 24 count, 54 count, 60 and 105 count. I've tried the 12 watt and the Cree's, 5050's, superFlux and 1210's.

They all sucked big time when compared to the stock incandescent bulbs. I was trying to off set the higher draw of the 55/65 headlight bulbs. I also wanted a brighter(safer )tail/brake light. I like the look of the hard red light output of LED's but with the VFR lens and the lack of yellow (or too much blue) in the LED's I ended up with a red/orange color. part of the problem is LED's only fire light left, right and forward. They need to shine light at the reflector(they dont).

So I found a way to get a hard red light with more output! The VFR reflector is a flat silver and does not reflect as much as a chrome reflector would. Welcome contact cement and tin foil!

I was able to do this because when I cut down my fender, and cut a hole in the tail light for the licence plate light. The tail light is now brighter and has a LED type look with the stock bulbs.

4283223504_2d1cdd2064_o.jpg

• Member Contributer

If you want a BRIGHT flashing light to go with your brake light...use Whelen's LED strobe. http://www.strobesnmore.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=322

Remove that red reflector above your lic. plate and install this strobe. I have this very strobe on the back of my 6th gen. I noticed once I installed it, cars tend to give me more room now at a stop. I spliced this into my brake light. Easy install. You can also change the pattern of the flashing light....steady red, flashing red, ect.

Archived