BT-016/PR2 Update

kebrider

• Member Contributer

It has been 3700 miles on the B/P combo and the performance of the two is still excellent in spite of one of the two being down the wear bars. Of course its the front Bridgestone that is worn, not the iron-like Pilot Road 2 on the back.

The upside of the front 016 is the wear is concentrated on the outer tread which is the softer compound and the tire still has neutral turning characteristics and sticks well. The side-tread wear bars seem like they are set up conservatively in that there is still fairly substantial tread depth. I will try and get some pics of the tires uploaded so peeps can see what I am talking about.

The PR2 is freakish. It looks like it will go past 4000 miles which will be a record for any tire that has had the misfortune of being mounted to my 5th gen's rear wheel. Truly amazing for a tire that has drama-less knee dragging traction levels. Never liked Michelin as a company but I have to give them props for a superior product. If only Michelin could offer the same wear in a more rounded profile tire they would have the perfect tire but the slightly extra steering effort is worth the extended wear.

I am going to keep a close eye on the front and replace the tire soon (probably right at 4000 miles and I may just go with another BT-016. Even though the wear isn't up to the PR2 level 4000 miles is decent and the tire has been very consistent from mile one with very little degradation in steering and handling. I have taken front Pilot Powers (regular and 2CT) to the wear bars and they can get truly evil near the end. The Bridgestone is priced very low as well, always readily available at less than $100.

YMMV

KEB

Thanks for the report!

Have you tried a full set of PR 2's?

Other than a little slower turn-in the set is very capable pair! After running 10-12 sets of PP's it took some time to adjust to the slower turn-in, but after I adjusted watch out!!!

Just ask Jeremy. :fing02:

I don't think I've ever pushed the VFR harder and the Road 2's F & R never let me down once in a full weekend in the GA/TN/NC twisties! :rolleyes:

I did switch back to running a PP front with the PR 2 rear because after 30-40k miles of running the quicker turning PP's I was hooked on having the quicker turn-in. :goofy:

I have run the B016 F & R for the past months real pleased good side grip along with decent wear.I like the wet grip more then the PP.The 016's have never disappointed the main reason is I can buy a complete set for $210 right to the house,where as a PR2 rear is $180 and a front PP @ $130 =310

• 5 months later...

post-18435-127145111652_thumb.jpg

For those that are interested the B-016 fronts are great but fall off and are dead @ 2,500 ml.The sides just are gone after 2,500 ml.Second pair same both times, gobs of grip when new.fing02.gif

• Member Contributer

My front bt-016 is still looking good at 4500 miles, back is gone and changed/squared off big time....this was mostly highway miles with maybe only 4 days of twisties...from indpls to CO summit ....I liked them just fine but really shows how you ride, twisties vs highway, can really made a difference in tire life.

The bt-016s are pretty soft...good in turns, not the best choice for long trips.

My front bt-016 is still looking good at 4500 miles, back is gone and changed/squared off big time....this was mostly highway miles with maybe only 4 days of twisties...from indpls to CO summit ....I liked them just fine but really shows how you ride, twisties vs highway, can really made a difference in tire life.

The bt-016s are pretty soft...good in turns, not the best choice for long trips.

post-18435-12714653895_thumb.jpg

I used to slab a bit more now it's all mountain rides,so I went back to Michelin PP for now.Heck the two cost $ 135 to the door.

Several people I used to ride with always asked why the middle worn out . because I rode to work dah!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived