Vfr 750 Fh Pulse Generator Different On Replacement Engine

Guest grahamc

Guest grahamc

I'm swapping an engine over on a 1987 VFR 750 FH.

The replacement engine has been stripped of a few electrical items including the pulse generator. The old engine has the pulse generator but the notches that control it (on starter clutch) are at different points to those on the replacement engine. (Pics below).

Can i fit the old pulse generator onto the replacement engine?

Do i need to fit the old starter clutch too?

Any tips for not messing up the timing would be greatly appreciated...!

Pics showing differences..........

gallery_18449_4886_32666.jpg

Replacement engine, no pulse generator

3 or so large notches on starter clutch.

gallery_18449_4886_74476.jpg

Old Pulse generator and starter clutch

Lots of smaller notches.

Thanks very much guys and i hope this all made sense.

Hi and welcome to VFRD! :cool:

I'm not really seeing or understanding what your after? :unsure:

I'm not at all familure with these years VFR's but there many here who should be able to help you out! :fing02:

BR

Are you sure of the year of the replacement engine? Is there a cam sensor on the intake side of the front cylinder head?

Are you sure of the year of the replacement engine? Is there a cam sensor on the intake side of the front cylinder head?

Yes... On the replacement engine there is, and not on the old engine. I hadn't noticed this and bought the engine as a VFR750F G/H engine, so assumed they were the same.

Original ebay listing... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Is this going to cause huge problems?

Thanks for ya time!

PS, I think the con rod broke on the old engine and there are bits of sheered metal inside it, maybe the old cylinder heads are still ok?!

You have bought an 86 motor and there are differences. As there are several open threads about the interchangeability of 86/87 engines with no answers yet, the easiest solution is to install the motor with all the 86 ignition components. That would include the ignition control module, 4 coils and complete wiring harness.

Archived