(semi) Permanent Mount For Tolltag/ezpass/etc On A 4th Gen

MadFrog

• Member Contributer

I have been using heavy duty velcro to hold my toll tag on the inside of my windshield. After 3 years of putting it on and removing it, the velcro's worn and it is not very secure anymore. I've looked around on the web but have not found any really good solutions.

Anybody have any ideas on how to mount it on a 4th gen (1994)?

Ideally, it would be:

- secure enough to discourage would-be thieves

- out of the elements (under the windshield

- still readable by the toll RF ID equipment

- cheap-ish?

I've tried just leaving the toll tag in my tank bag, but I only get a read 50% of the time, when the gates are down that results in an abrupt STOP!!! I haven't tried wearing the tag in my jacket as I am afraid it will also result in erratic reads at the toll booth.

Ideas, suggestions welcome.

TIA.

Sebastien.

• Member Contributer

Been there done that. I commute every day along a toll road. Tried about EVERYTHING to get my EZPass to read 100% of the time. If you go to Pep Boys they've got a black plastic sleeve type of thing that mounts via suction cups. The EZ Pass slides in & out. That worked ok, just have to remember to grab it so it doesn't get nicked. YMMV. I just carry it in my backpack now. Works for me all of the time.

• Member Contributer

I use the suction cup holder mentioned in my cage, but it falls off the windshield periodically, so I'm reluctant to use it on my bike.

Instead of Velcro, you could use that plastic-to-plastic type hook and loop stuff, like what comes with the EZPass, but even the glue on that softens after a while.

I have a Marsee tank bag with a clear hard plastic top on it. I keep my EZPass there, and I've never had a prioblem with a read.

I saw a holder somewhere that attaches either to the handle bar or the reservoir screws, can't remember which. I'll try to find it for you.

That's it. All out of ideas.

Archived