Gps Installation

DDO-VFR

This topic is a saver, many thanks i have been trying to find a good mount for a Sat Nav and have finally found one plus pictures. Cheers. know i can go and get one. Looks like the setup also doesn't restrict the view of the instrument panel.

I bought mine from gpscity.com: Click Here

Link will take you to the ram mount and neck that will perfectly mounts to the two front bolts on the gas tank. The neck is metal and built to last. I bought it and then bought the right cradle for the gps unit I had (which was a TomTom). Installs easily, looks great and I can the GPS unit or the whole thing it off in 3-seconds...so it won't get stolen. My total cost was $38.14. I did buy a couple of tank bolts that were just a quarter-inch longer, just to be sure they had a enough grip (local hardware store). I haven't added a power supply yet, but plan too. Here is a photo of the mount and cradle and yes, you can see the cockpit just fine:

4810620770_3c6054a226_z.jpg

Edited by ictghost

Hey, Jeff,

Yes, you can see it in direct sunlight - no problem. I have a zumo 550.

You can use googlemaps to create your routes or software included for your PC/Mac.

It will lead you on highways or you can set it to avoid highways. It even has an off-road setting if you want the dirt.

I find the 'roads to nowhere' online, upload them to my GPS and press "Go!" it'll lead you there and to where you want to go.

If you get lost or miss a turn it'll autocorrect and put you back on the right path. Pretty slick.

These guys are talking about great deals. I bought mine from a board member for $400 - haven't seen the zumo 550 or 650 any cheaper than that.

I am looking for a GPS that can be hooked to a computer, ride planned out on computer, then route transferred to GPS. I could care less about a GPS that gets me from point A to point B. I want a GPS that leads me on a cool ride that I have mapped out. Do these GPS's do this? Was at the Dragon last month and a guy on a Harley said he had a zumo and could go on a site where he could program any route he wanted into his zumo. Now that would be a cool GPS. The one that you could program to take you to the middle of nowhere.

YES, this Nuvi 550 allows you to create and upload routes. The software to do this comes with the Nuvi. Well, it doesn't actually come 'in the box', rather you have to go to the Garmin.com site and dig around a bit. Once you find your way around, when you try to download map/software updates, you have to first register your device, and create a user account. It's not really that difficult if you're the slightest bit computer savvy. With the Garmin software MAPSOURCE it is quite simple to create routes and once you're done you upload it to your device. The FULL map database resides on your computer, so everything that your Garmin can see/detect, is available to you when you build your custom route. The custom route is developped by stringing 'waypoints' together to build the overall route. If I remember correctly the Nuvi 550 is capable of 10,000 waypoints. So if route planning is the defining feature in your purchase, make sure the model you buy can store lots.

The Nuvi 550 is essentially the same as the Zumo 550, EXCEPT the Nuvi doesn't have Bluetooth. Somehow +600$ :mellow: for Bluetooth didn't seem worth it...

"take you to the middle of nowhere"...I've been there too many times already, :blush: that's why I bought the dang thing :laugh:

BI

Thanks, this is great info!!!

was saving for a Zumo its just way too much coin right now.

you answered my #1 question about rout planning.

can you see this screen in the direct sunlight? my cheap Magellan is unreadable in sunlight.

also will it track your rout and then allow you to download into your PC so you can save and repeat. i know this feature is available on zumo.

if this one doesn't have blue tooth dose it have head phone jack?