Bt-016 Front / Pr2 Rear (w/ New2me Vfr Review)

kebrider

• Member Contributer

The front Bridgestone works beautifully with the rear Michelin. Light, quick, neutral steering with excellent peg grinding lean angle available at zero drama. Great fun. BR you would love the combo as the front 016 turns in like a PP but sticks similar to a 2ct. Wear testing looks like fun but hey...it's what I do.

I only have 400 miles on the pair because a 96 VFR 750 fell in my lap two weeks ago that I just had to buy (cost less than 4 sets of tires :fing02: ). That bike came with newish PPs front and rear and I would say the 016/PR2 combo feels about the same' with the 170 rear on the 750 feeling much more squirmy. Don't know if I can blame the tire or the 55K mile rear shock but that 750 sure is smooth and comfy. Compared to the 800 it's softer in every department but it has an unburstable character to it that feels like it will outlast a lot of stuff that has yet to be built.

Back to tires. I have 4 to test so let me get back to work. :laugh:

KEBRider

The BT016 front and PR2 rear is what is on my bike now. I have a BT016 on my spare wheel that I have yet to use, it wont last long. I got a deal on the 016s so I am trying them out. The 016 front has 2k miles and is working great and is comparable with the PP in handling. We will see how they last. It has seen some hard service, the front tread sides are quite rough and worn, the center has plenty of tread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I siezed an unexpected opputunity to spend the 4th's 3 day weekend in the North Ga mountains so I was able to test the tire combo on some of the best roads in existence. Over 600 miles of tire testing. The quantity of corners I strafed would have required about 3000 miles of Florida roads so I can call the test conclusive as far as reporting handling and ride characteristics.

In short the combo flat works. Nuetral and light with just a hint of quickness in the steering. Perfect braking with no squirm. Trail braking is precise with excellent feedback through the front tire. The stone feels a lot like a PP wich is to say the tire feels secure but doesn't have the touching-the-road-with-your-hands feel that a Pirelli has.

The PR 2 rear grips at all lean angles. It feels a little like the tire takes an extra moment to get to from vertical to leaning but that may be just me. Once leaned over the tire is quick to respond to adjustments and it offers excellent grip. I never squirmed the rear with ham fisted throttle while leaned over but of course the VFR traction control system (some people actually refer to it as heavy and low horsepower) helps here.

Heading out this morning to do my home track :fing02: for a slightly higher speed report.

Bang for the buck this combo may be the ticket if the wear is acceptable. Fun for the buck the pair is a no brainer. Two enthusiastic thumbs up...great summer fun.

KEB

Thax for th ewrite-up, it's always good to have options! :fing02:

It's not you btw, the Road 2 rear is slightly behind in tip-in when running a quick steering front like the PP. :laugh:

• Member Contributer
Thax for th ewrite-up, it's always good to have options! +1.gif

It's not you btw, the Road 2 rear is slightly behind in tip-in when running a quick steering front like the PP. :fing02:

They seem to be getting quicker as I ride them. I put a knee down three times yesterday on the street with regular Icon riding jeans, no knee pucks. I don't agree with knee down street riding but I was feeling a little fiesty yesterday.

The mileage is the only unknown. Will know in a month or two if the weather holds up.

KEB

just read this and scratching my head. Where were you guys two months ago when I bought front and rear BT016s? So does anyone have a reason to pick the Michelin rear over the Bridgestone? Previous experience was on the Dunlop RoadSmarts which were fine for their 8k lifespan, but wanted the BT016s for a little more stick. Now I read the Michelin rear works... BETTER?? Just checking, almost at 2.5k front and rear and will be needing to throw some fresh rubber on my spare rims...

Archived