Exhaust Gasket Removal/install

Guest RIDER_44

Guest RIDER_44

Searched for this topic but found nothing so I thought I would post up.

This is for removing the large donut gasket between the muffler/can and collector within the exhaust system.

*Important Note: This is a lead gasket with a metal mesh interior so use caution when removing.

*Suggested to use gloves and an approved lead filtering dust mask.

Pretty simple procedure if done right but a PITA if you do it wrong. Do not do this procedure while the gasket is cool or cold.

Removal:

1. Secure the bike.

2. Remove the muffler and run the bike up to temp. (Cool sound while you wait smile.gif

(You can do this with the muffler on but, then there is the opportunity for the gasket to cool while you remove the can and may be harder to remove.)

3. If possible, use two pairs of channel locks and grip within an equal distance of each other on and around the gasket.

(Can be done with one pair of channel locks but may be a bit more difficult)

4. Give a few quick pulls on the channel locks and you should be able to see and feel it start moving.

5. Continuing pulling and at the same time start twisting or rotating back and forth, left and right.

6. By this point it should be fairly easy to remove the rest of the way.

7. Do a quick clean up of the area where the gasket was and get ready to install the new one.

Note: Please, do not throw the gasket in the regular trash…it will end up in our landfills and pollute the environment.

Installation:

Two ways of installing the gasket. One may work best for you or your application.

1. With the exhaust cool/cold.

2. With the exhaust warm/hot. (I prefer this method)

3. Remove the gasket from the packaging carefully because it can deform easily.

4. Fit/slide the gasket carefully into place and do not force it in until you have determined it fits properly.

5. Use the other end of the muffler, down tube with the flange and press with equal light pressure until seated.

(This step is not necessary but, I like to when using the stock can)

6. Follow service manual for proper installation of the muffler.

This is something that is not done very often but, can be an easy job when needed.

Please feel free to comment or add to this.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Pretty simple procedure if done right but a PITA if you do it wrong. Do not do this procedure while the gasket is cool or cold.

I sure wished I ran across this thread before replacing the collector donut on my 4th gen. I recently bought a new collector gasket, and when I went to remove the old collector gasket, I did everything wrong. I initially tried to use a screwdriver to get a little nudge (little lift on this side, little lift on the other), but that wasn't happening. When that failed, I went for the "peel if off" approach. What I wound up with was about 45 minutes of peeling mesh using pliers, and crumbly lead & graphite crap all over the floor. What a mess- it was so frustrating.

I can imagine that taking a set of large channel locks to the outside diameter with a twisting motion would have helped. Some heat around the collector gasket would have helped loosen it up, too. Installation was pretty easy, just be sure to twist it on when installing by hand.

• Member Contributer

5. Use the other end of the muffler, down tube with the flange and press with equal light pressure until seated.

(This step is not necessary but, I like to when using the stock can)

Once the gasket is installed on the pipe coming from the headers, how do you get the stock can/midpipe combo back on without squishing and damaging the gasket?

Are the gaskets ever reuseable, or are they always so damaged from installation/removal that one must replace them?

• Member Contributer

Once the gasket is installed on the pipe coming from the headers, how do you get the stock can/midpipe combo back on without squishing and damaging the gasket?

Are the gaskets ever reuseable, or are they always so damaged from installation/removal that one must replace them?

I'm getting ready to put the stock can back on now. The donut went on, and is nearly flush with the end of the metal pipe. It won't twist down anymore, and I don't want to deform the donut for the sake of the 1/16" of the edge of donut that's above the edge of the pipe. I'm sure it will settle in, and I can re-check the exhaust clamp torque after the bike warms up.

The donut is reusable. It's typically pretty durable once situated. When I installed my aftermarket high-mount, the instructions indicated to put a coat of high temp RTV on the donut. I wish I didn't do that. The gasket by itself will seal connection. In taking the aftermarket silencer off, the RTV stuck and peeled off the topmost layer of the donut.

• Member Contributer

I'm getting ready to put the stock can back on now. The donut went on, and is nearly flush with the end of the metal pipe. It won't twist down anymore, and I don't want to deform the donut for the sake of the 1/16" of the edge of donut that's above the edge of the pipe. I'm sure it will settle in, and I can re-check the exhaust clamp torque after the bike warms up.

The can won't easily fit over the gasket. You'll find that you'll have to push it over the gasket, which will scrape some material off and damage it a little, at least that's what happened to me.

• Member Contributer

The can won't easily fit over the gasket. You'll find that you'll have to push it over the gasket, which will scrape some material off and damage it a little, at least that's what happened to me.

I guess I must have been rewarded for the rigmarole I went through yesterday. Put the clamps on, lightly snugged the clamp bolts, rotated can into place, and installed the hanger bolt. Went back and torqued clamps. Done.

Whether it's a booger to remove or put on, do not underestimate this donut being a simple 1..2...3 job. It's simplicity will evoke a "good grief" once you get down to replacing it, that's for sure.