So I'm Fat And I Know Nothing About Bike Suspension....

whiteboyslo

• Member Contributer

Looks like we're going with the RaceTech guts on the front and a re-spring F4i shock on the rear. Can't wait!

For the rear, do I need to any of the F4i parts other than the shock/spring? Do I need the lower linkage and/or the upper mount piece, or will we reuse the OEM VFR pieces?

Mike

For the rear, do I need to any of the F4i parts other than the shock/spring? Do I need the lower linkage and/or the upper mount piece, or will we reuse the OEM VFR pieces?

Mike

THE MOD NEEDED is to the stock top mount, that's where the spacer needs to go.

Also the shock should be re-valved to match the spring unless your a light weight like less than 160 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Got the bike back yesterday. Only rode it down the freeway so far, but have a ride planned for tomorrow. Will report back. Can't wait!

As for the valving on the rear shock, that is the one area I cheaped out. I was trying to stick to my $1K and just barely managed that. My thought was, should I blow out the F4 shock, they're a dime a dozen to get on ebay. Perhaps in a few months I can pony up for another one and send it out to JamieDaugherty for a re-valve.

Mike

Yes, it is re-sprung. I don't have the info on the spring rate handy, but it's substantial. I got it from RaceTech, but it's an Eibach spring.

Mike

There might be enough adjustment in the stock damping to do a decent job with controlling the new spring, it will need Less comp damping and much More Rebound to work right.

You can just bounce up and down on the rear of the bike trying to make the speed of how it compresses vs rebounds similar, compare to and try to match how the front moves as best as you can.

I hold the front brake on and bounce in the middle of the seat watching how the front vs rear compresses and rebounds.

BR

• Member Contributer

I trust the adjustments to the guy who did the work. He set the sag and whatnot when I picked the bike up. He's got a lot of years and many a happy customers' feedback going for him, so I'm assuming he got it as close to 'right' as he could.

Final tally of parts:

Front:

RaceTech 1.2 kg/mm springs

RaceTech gold valve kits (Compression and Rebound)

New fluid (he showed me the old stuff. 36K miles later, it's disgusting)

New outer bushings

Original inner bushings (RaceTech sent the wrong ones)

New seals

Rear:

ebay CBR F4 shock, allegedly with only 2500 miles on it

RaceTech (Eibach) rear spring, 1000 lb/in (17.86 kg/mm)

RaceTech adapter to make spring fit shock

Adapter welded on spring mount to not only make the shock length match the original but exceed it by just a touch. I'd have to get the exact number from him.

I believe he also dropped the front a bit by raising the forks just a touch.

Took a small ride out on some local back roads today, and to say the least, I'm amazed. The eagerness with which the bike does everything is incredible. Do I dare use the word 'flick' to describe a VFR? Yes, yes I do. I no longer get the feeling that the front end and the back end of the bike are two different entities, and I finally understand what people mean by getting feedback through the front end. I was taking lines much tighter and faster than I'm used to with ease. And the throttle response? Oh man. Like gaining free horsepower. I've never ever had the front end think of coming up ever, and today I had a little headshake on the 2-3 shift at full throttle. Unreal!

Mike

Archived